How to make an attractive garden pathway?
No 1: Choosing the right kind of mat
You can choose either a synthetic one or an organic one. Or, you could also use some natural materials such as wood or pebbles if you prefer them.
If you choose the last option, make sure there are no sharp edges in the ones you have selected to ensure safety.
No 2: Positioning it in place to guarantee its durability
The best way to do this is using natural materials since they are stronger than artificial ones. If you are using wood, make sure to hammer the nails properly. It should be firm enough to prevent any scuffs or scratches on your feet.
No 3: Staining it
To avoid getting dirty, you can stain it with some water-based paints to look attractive and stay longer. You can select any color you want since there are no rules for this kind of decoration. But don’t go too overboard, though, because if the paint is too bright, it could ruin your whole garden’s look.
No 4: Attaching some short twigs
If you don’t want it to look like a gravel path, attach some short twigs or small branches to it. Be sure that the color and texture of the twigs and their leaves match the color you selected for your garden.
No 5: Choosing the correct type of stones
To give the pathway a natural look, you can use some sand or small rocks. You can choose either sand or stones depending on what you have available in your garden. The process is simple since sand pieces are easy to collect, and you can just mix them with other materials like wood pieces to make them more durable.
No 6: Making it pretty
You have to scatter some flowers here and there to give your pathway a more attractive touch. Choose the ones that are either low-maintenance or those that can grow quickly in this type of environment.
One example is violet since it can grow in even small spaces. You can also use some other types of native plants if you want to have one with a natural look.
But it’s recommended that you don’t use tall flowers since they could block your view of the path at some point.
No 7: Lighting pathway
If you plan to stay longer in your backyard, you will want to make it attractive. A garden is not complete without lighting up at night.
These LED lights can surely give off enough light for guests to see the way. You can choose the color of the lights depending on your preference or budget.
It can be either white, warm white, cool white, or orange for this lighting option. Just make sure that you use energy-saving light bulbs since they are more efficient compared with others out there.
No 8: DIY project for the pathway
If you want a few less expensive but attractive pathways, you can try to make it yourself. You only need a few rocks, wood chips, or other materials for this type of design.
It’s easy since you only need to pile the materials up in a small area. Then, add some decorations like flowers and lights to make it more attractive at night.
The best part is that it will be cheaper compared to hiring professionals for this kind of work.
No 9: Walking on it with care
Once you have finished making it, walking on it should be carefully done, especially if there are times when you are wearing sandals or any type of footwear that might leave an impression. Otherwise, it is recommended that you use specific footwear such as sneakers or espadrilles.
Avoid walking on it barefoot since you might accidentally step on stones and start to soil your shoes.
No 10: Enjoying your walk
Enjoy your garden since it is just for you and it has everything. Now, you don’t have to walk around the house anymore. Or spend a day at work for this enjoyment. Just stroll around your garden and spend some quality time with your family and pets if you have any of them.
Put each step of yours on the pathway carefully to make sure there are no impressions on it that your shoes might leave.
The idea behind this is to make it look appealing without destroying its appeal in any way.
The Basic idea of building a Decorative garden fence:
When you want to add a decorative element to your small backyard, you can install a garden fence made of wood. It is an excellent option since it comes in different colors and designs.
- Step 1: Check on the type of wood chosen by local gardeners.
- Step 2: Mark the size of your garden and make sure it will fit properly in its intended area.
- Step 3: Acquire all of the materials needed to build the fence.
- Step 4: Build the fence by getting all of the lumber needed.
- Step 5: Adhere to all of the materials properly to make sure they are securely held together.
- Step 6: After it is complete, you can decorate your fence with plants and other decorative elements.
How to build proper fencing for a small garden?
No 1. Preparing the materials
Materials that you will need for this project include:
-Cedar fence boards
-Wood glue or liquid nails
No. 2. Building frame
To build the garden fencing frame, you need to measure the space you have for your garden. You can do this by cutting a board or right from one large slat. After that, mark the edges of the slat with a marker.
Measure the required boards and cut them to size using a circular saw or a table saw if you have one. If you plan to use only one slat, you will need to cut it into two parts before attaching them using Liquid Nails or wood glue.
No. 3. Fitting the slats onto it
To get started, you should build a small frame around the perimeter of the garden. The size of this frame will determine how large or small your fence will be in size. Also, you should not forget to leave an opening for entering your garden. After that, you can start fitting slats over the frame.
Each slat will have an overlap of at least ½” to ¾” on each side. This way, the fence will easily be stronger and will not sag even if you don’t use screws or nails. You can also use screws to fix the slats together, so it is more durable.
No 4. Framing the slats
After you have attached all of the slats, you will need to start framing them. This action is a crucial step since it will define the shape of your fence. You can do it by placing a smaller board or piece of lumber on top of the slats and then nail or screw caps over them.
No 5. Painting the slats
The next step is to attach the fence boards or wooden planks to the sides of each slat. You will need to use short screws for this purpose. Once the perimeter is sturdy, you can start painting it.
It is recommended that you choose a color that will blend well with your garden space. Before painting your fence, you should check whether it needs to be primed or not.
This idea depends on your paint manufacturer’s instructions or general guidelines provided by professionals.
No 6. Placing flowers around it
To complete this project successfully, you should put your flowering plants around your new fence. The recommended flowers are perfect for small garden fences such as chrysanthemum, marigold, and potato. However, you can also use other plants such as sweet peas, daisies, and roses.
If you want to make it stand slightly taller, you can also plant some perennials around it. You should ensure that your perennials are secure enough not to be easily knocked over by the wind.
Once the flowers are in place, you can start planting your favorite vegetables near your fence area.
No 7. Taking care of the fence
When the fence is finished, you should start maintaining it. This idea means the task of painting the fence regularly. Also, you should leave it thoroughly dry before attaching another section.
Once your fence is ready, you can start building a small bench in the middle of your garden. To make this project work well, you should keep some extra space around your garden to allow for easy access to it.
This idea will also allow you to place benches without worrying about compacting other flowers or plants in your garden area.
No 8. How to protect the fence
You can build a wooden fence around your garden to protect it from intruders. It will create a safe space for your children to play in and keep them away from the road.
Once you have finished building it, you should start adding railings along the sides of the fence. This step will allow you to have more privacy and protect those around you from being struck by falling objects from your garden.
Step by step to owning artificial turf:
- Step 1: Research the type of turf that will look good with your garden. You can do this by visiting a local garden supply store. Also, you can check online for the prices and product specifications of several artificial turfs.
- Step 2: Check on customer reviews to make sure it is an excellent material for your garden. This way, you will be confident that you are investing in a good quality product.
- Step 3: Check on the specific type of grass chosen by local gardeners.
Alternative ideas to replace artificial turf such as:
- No 1. Alternately, you can build a simple compost pile. You can mix the same soil, seeds, and other materials to create a lawn inside it.
- No 2. Additionally, you can plant grass seeds around the perimeter of your garden. The seeds will sprout and take over the area within a few weeks. To make sure it will grow well, finish mowing your lawn first before planting them there.
- No 3. You can also plant sedum and other grasses around your garden. This idea will save you the time and money of purchasing artificial turf.
- No 4. If you want to use a rope and twine to create a simple garden, then try using: plastic bags, old clothes, and old tires, as well as rags. This way, they will all result in creating the most suitable ground for growing grass.
- No 5. A great idea to create the most suitable ground is by filling it with dirt or compost.
- No 6. For those who want to save time and money on improving and creating a suitable garden, consider using: crushed biscuits, sawdust, and even grass clippings.
These materials will be able to provide your lawn with the most suitable nutrition needed for thriving. Try this out first on a small portion of your backyard before filling it up with the rest of the materials if you like the result.
- No 7. If your garden is not spacious, then consider using:
Recycled plastic bottles to create a garden. You can cover them with dirt and add seeds to sprout and grow inside.
Detailed step by step to create your own Japanese style garden start from:
- No 1. Shop around. You can do this by doing a search on eBay or at a local garden supply store. Look for plants that’ll fit your garden and the climate of your area.
- No 2. Digging the holes is essential. This way, you can put plants in their allotted places without any problems.
- No 3. Fill it up with water and let it drain thoroughly to avoid root rot and other problems that might occur over time due to overwatering.
- No 4. Once it’s ready, add some fertilizer to the soil. Yet you should avoid over-fertilizing the soil because this could cause weeds to grow.
- No 5. You can also add mulch to your garden by using:
- No 6. Place the pots on the ground or place them on a raised platform to allow for improved drainage and more room for roots and flowers.
- No 7. You can also add a decorative archway as a focal point. You can paint it white to give it a Japanese feel or use natural wood that complements your garden.
- No 8. Finally, you can fill up your garden with Japanese-style outdoor furniture such as:
- No 9. To make the best use of space, you should also provide a place for relaxing and enjoying a cup of tea or even a cup of coffee. Consider making a simple wooden bench using: pallets and lumber scraps which you can purchase from a local hardware store.
Here are some other ideas to make the best use of space in your garden:
- No 1. Create a low-lying terrace for outdoor space to write notes and relax. Here, create a simple trellis that will span from the ground to the roof. This way, you can use it as a wine rack or as an archway.
- No 2. Consider creating a garden with a water feature where you can enjoy your favorite drink. To make a great feature, consider using:
- No 3. If it’s sunny outside, you should also consider creating an outdoor walled patio with many types of plants. You can do this by using wood posts and concrete blocks for posts and tiles and stones to create borders.
- No 4. To create a beautiful focal point for your garden, you can use an archway. For this, simply start by building two diagonally placed posts, then build ladders that will go all the way up the posts. Then attach the wooden boards that will act as legs to create shelves for placing vases and candles. To make it even more special, paint it with a lovely color to give it the Japanese feel.
- No 5. You can also place your garden to see the sky or use star-gazing like how Japanese people enjoy playing their game ‘Go’.
- No 6. If you have a backyard fence, then consider using it to create a Japanese-style garden. To do so, simply plant some ferns or other plants that can grow underneath the fence.
- No 7. For those who have a big backyard, consider using a stone path. This idea will make it easier for you to walk on and also make your garden more beautiful.
- No 8. You can also use bamboo matting to give your garden a traditional Japanese feel. You can simply hang it around trees or even fence posts to create an inviting look.
- No 9. Once you’ve created your Japanese garden, don’t forget to treat it properly by providing enough water and maintaining the soil so that your garden won’t be choked with weeds.
- No 10. And finally, if you want to protect your garden from pests, be sure to give it a protective barrier so that it won’t be able to enter.
How to re-style your small garden with Old fashion ways?
- No 1. You can start by transforming your patio not only into a beautiful garden but also a functional one. To do so, simply cover it with bricks and add pieces of wood for additional accents.
With the addition of the brick bench, you will surely enjoy sitting there and looking at your lovely flowers or other plants.
- No 2. You can also add flower boxes and containers filled with herbs and colorful flowers like geraniums, tomatoes, and even roses to create an accent every time you walk through the patio. You can also add a bench in between them or create a path that’ll lead you toward the backyard area, where you can enjoy your morning coffee.
- No 3. If you have a small patio, consider adding outdoor wall decorations on your wall to add more depth and add some color to the garden. In this case, you can add a mirrored square framed with wood or just a simple frame of wood that complements your garden.
- No 4. If you have an open area for a garden that doesn’t have enough space to bring in multiple trees, consider planting some flowers and shrubs in the front of the patio. For example, plant some azaleas and other types of shrubs near your fence. Or even on the walls surrounding your patio.
- No 5. If your garden is a balcony, you can even use a flower box as a planter to bring some color and life into the space. Here, you can place it on top of brick or concrete blocks to give it a creative patina for a more decorative effect.
- No 6. If you have a sufficient yard for your garden, you should consider planting multiple trees that will beautify the area. You can also plant fruit trees like apple trees or pomegranate trees along with other plants like sunflowers to create unique combinations that will make your garden more attractive.
- No 7. If you don’t want to buy new plants for your garden, consider creating natural landscape elements like sand sculptures or stepping stones made of brick. You can also accent them with other types of plants like ornamental grasses or rocks.
- No 8. You can also create a simple walkway with wood slats from fence to fence. In this case, it’s a low-cost, effective way to bring some life into your space as it creates an attractive natural pathway between the different areas of your garden.
- No 9. If you have a small terrace, then consider building a planter for planting your favorite fruit tree or plant that you would like to have. Consider planting them near the fence or near the kitchen, as these types of trees usually need plenty of sunlight and lots of care.
- No 10. If you have a large yard, then you can create a unique look by combining stone and brick to create a beautiful walkway over the garden area. Here, you can place benches or even lounge chairs to sit back and enjoy your garden space.