The kitchen wall is an important part of the interior design within any home, mainly if it’s used for food preparation. Knowing how to decorate and create a cozy, inviting atmosphere around your cooktop and other essential appliances will make you feel more relaxed. Still, it will also ensure that everything runs smoothly. These tips below are designed to help anyone transform their kitchen into the ideal location for cooking.
- You can start to transform your kitchen wall from the comfort of your home by simply applying paint to the wall.
- Add a touch of color to the entire kitchen wall to give it a makeover.
- Dining room lighting is an excellent way to transform your kitchen.
- Once you have made changes and additions to your kitchen, you may want to consider how best to protect them from marks and scratches.
- You can also install shelves for convenience while cooking or preparing food on the countertop.
- Add a few plants to your kitchen wall to give your room a more natural look and feel.
- A prominent feature on your kitchen wall can be created through wallpaper, painting, or adding pictures.
- Keep the design of your kitchen clean and orderly by using attractive storage solutions for utensils, dishes, pots, and pans.
- When it comes to transforming your kitchen wall, you will find many options available.
- A purging session is an essential part of any makeover process.
- The flooring treatment in the kitchen is necessary for any makeover process.
- The lighting in the kitchen should be warm and inviting.
- If your kitchen wall has an open plan design in the dining room, why not transform it into a single well-designed space?
- You may also consider adding a decorative aspect to your kitchen through wooden wall plaques.
- To give your wall a genuinely stunning appearance, you may want to consider adding some artwork and floral artwork.
- You can add glamour to a room through mirrors, wall art, and photos with frames.
When considering a kitchen makeover, most people focus on new cabinets, backsplash, or flooring. However, they leave the idea of transforming the wall.
Since the wall is the largest surface area of the kitchen, thinking of upgrading it should be one of your considerations. A small transformation will genuinely create a different look in your kitchen.
Thus, here we list 10 kitchen wall transformation ideas that will guide you to transform your bare kitchen wall. As always, Simphome presents you with the list.
10. Add Eye-Catching Tile
The use of tiles is not limited to the kitchen floor and the backsplash because you can also use them for your walls.
You can cover a wall with a graphic pattern or a tile mural. Pick a color and design that fits your kitchen’s interior style.
Applying tiles on your kitchen wall also helps you a lot. You don’t need to paint it regularly. Besides, tiles are low maintenance, resistant to water and stain, and easy to clean.
- Choose kitchen tiles that match your kitchen and style.
- Prepare the tiles before you apply them to the wall.
- Trim the excess tiles from the edges of your wall.
- Masking tape or painter’s tape will help you quickly cover all the unwanted tiles.
- Begin covering your wall by applying big tiles first, applying small tiles in batches, and terra-cotta or mosaic tiles last to identify one pattern at a time.
- Seal all tiles with high gloss polyurethane for protection purposes.
- Clean your kitchen wall with a soft cloth after each coat of sealant is dry, and lightly sand it with a wire brush if there is any unevenness to polish it smooth again.
If the tile is not an option, you can also Install A Blackboard Wall
The use of a blackboard wall may seem a bit old, but it can still be a trendy decoration for your kitchen. The blackboard wall is a functional feature that you can use to write down your schedule or other relevant information to help you keep track of important tasks and appointments.
The use of chalk is one way to create a fun atmosphere in your kitchen. For example, you can write cheerful words or other inspiring words as reminders on the board, such as “No Simp September” or “I am sorry for what I said when I was HANGRY.” If you want to be more creative, try writing something different every day!
Scheduling a family meal plan sometimes could be an uninteresting activity. But, to make it more interesting, you can have a “chalkboard” area to write down everything on it. Moreover, it will make your space look fabulous and whimsical.
If you want to create such an area, you can have a “real” chalkboard or paint the wall using chalkboard paint. Both options will not require much money or effort. But, sure, for you who love to do DIY, purchasing chalkboard paint should be your safe bet.
Besides writing down your shopping list, you can also add some eating rules, sketches, or your family’s favorite quotes.
Step by step installations:
- Step 1: Prepare the Chalkboard area. Ensure that your wall is clean and free from dust or oil.
- Step 2: Prepare the Chalkboard paint. The chalkboard paint should be compatible with any chalk- from oil to water-based.
- Step 3: Clean your wall with soap and water, or wipe it off with a dry rag to remove any dirt that might interfere with the proper application of the chalkboard paint.
- Step 4: Cover your floor, furniture, and other objects that you do not want to get chalk on it using newspapers or cardboard boxes. This idea will help you prevent accidents caused by children who play at home.
- Use a clear coat sealer (e.g., Varathane chalkboard spray paint) to offer extra protection and make it easier to clean.
- Depending on your wall’s condition, the chalkboard paint will be 2-3 coats. It could take up to 24 hours for each coat to dry before applying another coat.
- Use a magnetic chalkboard eraser or dust cloth when cleaning the board
Alternatively, Put your favorite Chalkboard Wall Graphic and Finish the chalkboard with high gloss polyurethane for long-lasting use.
8. Bring In Baskets
Arrange vintage baskets thoroughly in a cluster on the wall to add texture to the space. The display can go rustic or bohemian, depending on your baskets.
If you like a farmhouse interior design, you should try to bring in tobacco baskets. They would also be suitable for your rustic home. Meanwhile, rattan baskets with intriguing patterns would be excellent for your Boho kitchen.
- Set up vintage baskets along the kitchen wall edges to create a warm and charming look.
- Use baskets to show your baking ingredients, tools, or food in your pantry. It would be a great way to display cooking accessories and utensils. It will also be helpful if you like making your kitchen more organized.
- Spruce up the appearance of your kitchen by setting up exotic baskets as decorative elements of your home’s interior design.
- Add some colorful flowers in vintage baskets that you can place at an outlet or behind a chair near the entrance of your kitchen door so they can brighten up the space when you enter and leave it each day
- Use baskets to display colorful jelly or jam jars in a bowl.
- Decorative wine racks can be an excellent choice for your kitchen. This idea is clever because they will transform your kitchen into a lovely no-alcohol wine cellar during the day. Plus, it will also add more storage space to your pantry
- Feature vintage baskets on the wall near your appliances and cabinets so that you can arrange the items in them properly and keep them clean as well as dust-free
- You can use decorated containers to showcase essential family items such as personal photographs, or family mementos
- Use a vintage basket with a lid to display your favorite candies, chocolates, or cookies
- If you like the idea of having vintage baskets on the wall, you could also try to go with decorative storage containers
7. Display Plates and Platters
Storing your plates in a cupboard is not a good idea. Instead of making them sit inside the cabinets, you can use them as a decoration element for your bare wall. Moreover, if you don’t have any particular plate collection, you can use the old plates that you rarely use.
Before you hang them on the wall, think first about the layout. The way you arrange it could affect the result. However, you do not have to possess a high sense of art to make it look great. Just search for some inspiration on the internet.
You can use plate hangers to hang them on the wall. There are different types and prices you can find in the marketplace.
Step by step instructions:
- Step 1: Choose the plates that you are going to display.
- Step 2: Take out the plate hanger’s backing to easily hang it on your wall. If you prefer using a hammer and nails, drive a nail onto the wall near an outlet so you can easily attach it.
- Step 3: Hang your plate on it and hit another nail in its back to hold it properly.
- Step 4: You can also wrap hanging wires around the hanger and then use them to hold your plate collection on the wall
- To give your kitchen a “sophisticated” theme, placing an antique silver plate near or inside your pantry will be a great idea.
- Or, if you have an extensive collection of vintage plates, build them up on a mantelpiece or find some other interesting places to display them, like the wall.
- Arrange your antique plates in a vintage hanger or basket to decorate the wall for your kitchen
- You can also use plates to hold your small kitchen utensils, like forks, knives, and cooking spoons
- Add some colors to your kitchen by hanging colorful plates on the wall
- Use different shaped dishes to place and display small dishes and items that you like
6. Showcase Your favorite Pots and Pans
If you have an incredible series of cookware collections, do not hide them in enclosed storage. Instead, try the idea of showcasing them on the wall. Arrange them evenly. Then they will instantly turn your blank wall into a gallery.
Step by step instructions:
- Step 1: Choose the throwaway pots and pans you want to display.
- Step 2: Take out their handles, lids, and other parts until it becomes empty.
- Step 3: Finally, hang your old pots on your wall with strong hanging brackets or pins
You can also use furniture to organize your home’s interior design.
Here are a few ideas of how to produce an attractive furniture display:
- The best place for putting up decorative furniture is on the wall. It could help mold your space correctly and produce the feeling of space in one room. This idea is beneficial when you have limited space in your kitchen since it would easily cover part of the walls in this area.
- You can also place a wooden trunk at the end of your kitchen counter instead of installing some cabinets. Plus, it would look great when displayed on the wall.
- Arrange your furniture and antiques properly to create a timeless home interior design. You could also take advantage of your empty wall space to add some height to the display. As long as you have an extra set of shelves, you no longer have to worry about storage space for your items.
- Use shelf brackets to attach your shelves for decorative items. This step is a smart way to display your favorite pieces of artwork, vases, and souvenirs.
- Let us assume that you have some old pieces of furniture inside your house that are no longer useful or wanted. Turn them into a wall art display by painting them with bright, bold, and fun designs.
Use Fairy Lights and Candles
Fairy lights provide a magical feel to any space they are used in. In other words, they are ideal decorations for the kitchen where there is little light or sun exposure due to the windows being tiny and let through little sunlight.
5. A Vintage Shopping List Wall
A shopping list or meal planner might sound like an everyday activity. However, you can make it into a creative action that results in an artwork.
Try to make an extensive shopping list or meal planner display by hanging a roll of brown Kraft paper on your empty kitchen wall.
- You can use a wooden baton to support the roll.
- Then suspend it on the wall with leather drawer pulls.
They will not just provide a space for you to write down the shopping list but also upgrade your kitchen look.
4. Go for Greenery: Hanging Herbs Garden
Adding greeneries is a quick way to bring the outdoors a refreshing atmosphere in your kitchen. You can hang them or put them on an open shelf.
You can choose any plants. But, if you want to get more advantages, we suggest you pick herbs, such as basil, celery, and rosemary. They do not conquer a lot of space and are pretty easy to take care of. Having them in the kitchen will help you to get fresh herbs easily.
Step by step instructions:
- Step 1: Start by cutting off the big stems of the herbs.
- Step 2: Dig out a small hole in your garden soil.
- Step 3: Place a herb on the spot where you just finished digging, and add a slice of your treasured book about herbs. The herb will look great in that small fluffy book!
- Step 4: Reduce your Herb Garden! This idea is not easy to do, but it’s among the most necessary tasks for any self-respecting chef. It can take as little as two months for them to flower again, depending on whether you follow their instructions or not.
To hang your herbs on your kitchen wall:
- Step 1: Get a string that you would like to use.
- Step 2: Tie your string to the wall at a height where you would find it comfortable.
- Step 3: Wrap your string around the plant and tie a knot on top.
- Step 4: Repeat this process until you get all of your herbs hung up.
- Step 1: If you are using a book, turn it upside down and use it to hold the herb’s stem.
- Step 2: Be sure to have a strong ceiling hook! Some of the newer hanging herb plants will break off when too much weight is on the hook.
- Step 3: Now that you have your herbs hanging, what’s next? It’s time to move on!
3. Build A Shelving Area to Create More Space
Some of you may have trouble with a limited-space kitchen, mainly to store your cooking utensils or silverware. Thus, this idea should be one way to solve the problem.
Building an open shelving area on the top of a blank wall kitchen can provide more space. You can place your mostly-used silverware in it. Arrange them beautifully so they appeal to the eyes.
However, even if you don’t have such a problem, you can still consider this idea. Build it to decorate your wall area by placing eye-catching silverware, artwork, plants, or even books.
- Start building your kitchen shelf simply from the planks. Cut the wood planks into the right size and shape, then stick them together with nails, screws, or glue at the edges.
- Arrange various attractive items on top of the shelf to decorate your blank wall kitchen.
- Build the shelving area using an L-shape for better storage and convenience.
- Go for colorful clothes or fabrics to cover your shelves and make them look beautiful and practical for storage purposes.
- Install shelves using different materials for the planks, such as gold, silver, copper, or other precious metals or woods.
- Use real flowers to decorate the top of your shelf. Add a few air plants to create a greener feel.
- Add a mirror in front of your shelving area to create a bigger illusion, and add small things near it for decoration purposes.
- Cut planks into different shapes and join them at the edges to make your shelves unique and eye-catching.
- Use a hot glue gun to stick everything in place.
- Paint your planks with colorful paint and turn them into your personalized kitchen shelf.
- Build a kitchen shelf using glass as extra storage space for your kitchen accessories.
- Install a kitchen closet in your kitchen for extra space.
- Paint all your kitchen walls with colorful paint to make them more attractive, then hang some plants on the upper part of your walls.
- Use a pot rack or pliers to hold pots above the stovetop for better storage, so your pots and pans won’t fall off from their places easily when you open your cabinets.
- Use white oil-rubbed steel cabinets with glass doors for a more stylish look and more storage space for silverware and other utensils in your kitchen.
2. Big Scale of Two Dimensional Art Work Idea
Hanging 2D artwork is one of the easiest ways to turn your monotone blank wall into a more eye-catching one. Even though it sounds simple, please remember that you still need to be cautious about what kind of artwork to choose.
Whether it is a painting or photograph, that’s totally up to your preference. But, you should pick one which fits into your kitchen’s interior design. For example, if you have a modern and minimalist kitchen, it will be better to have a cubism-style painting or a macrophotography.
In addition, don’t forget to install a small lighting system on top of it so that it will be more captivating.
Lastly, Number 1. Turn your kitchen wall into a coffee station
Make your empty wall more functional by, for example, building your own coffee station. This idea should be on your list for whoever calls themselves a caffeine person.
To build it, you need to create open shelving first. Then, you can put some of your favorite coffee cups, a coffee maker machine, sugar, biscuits, and coffee and tea.
Building your own coffee station will surely help you cut down on your monthly spending on coffee, meaning you will have the chance only to use the money for other more essential sectors.
Step by step instructions:
- Take one of the kitchen window frames and cut the door part out of it. Don’t buy any window frame if you already have one because you can make it yourself by attaching your hardware.
- Attach a kitchen shelf to the window frame and hang it on your wall. You will find many sources like IKEA or West Elm that sell kitchen shelves, so there’s no need to shop around for everything separately. It’s a good idea to stack two or three of them together to save space in your house
- The next thing you should do is make a frame and hang it onto the wall like Chinese lanterns on Chinese New Year.
- You need to turn two or three of your kitchen drawers upside down.
- On the bottom part, prepare a rack that must be fixed onto the wall and attach your closed box with the hanging dials already attached.
- Attach a piece of wood on top of your open cabinets (so that it can support all the weight). And then, attach your closed boxes with dishwasher detergent, vinegar, napkins, and toothpicks onto them (if you want to use them).
- Add some more open cabinets and stick a small decorative vase inside them so that all items will have their own space and will not raise any dust when you open them.
- Add more decorative vases outside of the kitchen cabinets as well.
- Lastly, add a small-scale lamp above the kitchen cabinets to illuminate everything on your kitchen wall. And when possible, add some extra decor to your kitchen to make it look cozy and welcoming before sharing it with other people.
- You need to measure the length of your open shelving and cut it accordingly.
- Take the pipe as supporting material and glue it on the wall above your open shelving.
- You will have to take a small piece of wood, paint it, and then attach it to the pipe frame you just made.
- Install a long metal wire across the wood that you have just created from top to bottom (or from the left side to the right side). This wire should be able to rotate so that you can place your coffee or teacups by rotating them.
- To make sure that your coffee or teacups don’t fall when they have moved around, use one of your old plastic containers to function as holders for them all (the same way as in restaurants).
This is the end of 10 Kitchen wall transformation ideas. Hopefully, you have gotten some inspiration to turn your mundane cooking space into a chic spot to prepare meals or even hang out.
3. Architecturaldigest.com, Housebeautiful.com