- Secret #1: A potential solution is using a shallow bookshelf as a console table. Place the bookshelf near a wall that does not have windows and use it for your favorite decorative items, like magazines or plants, for example, as well as other small items you want to hide from view. This will also give you additional storage for any decorative items that might otherwise clutter up the space in your living room.
- Secret #2: Another idea is to use a secretary desk for additional storage. The secretary desk is ideal because it does not have drawers, taking up less space. Place the furniture against a wall or opposite the television with your TV items inside the desk. Make sure that you choose a secretary desk that has doors to hide any electronics and make it look more stylish.
- Secret #3: Use a sturdy side table to create storage in your living room by placing baskets or bins on top of the table where you can store out-of-season clothing, cleaning supplies, magazines, etc. If you choose baskets, you can use them to store out-of-season clothing or seasonal items like Christmas holiday decorations.
- Secret #4: Space under the sofa is a great way to create hidden storage without giving up any floor space since the bottom of the sofa is usually large enough for storage. Use small bins and baskets or large plastic storage bins to store magazines, remotes, or other living room items that you want to keep out of sight. Keep in mind that access under the sofa means that you may require some assembly. If your sofa does not have drawers, it will also be more time-consuming to put away items as well.
More on that later
Having an organized and comfortable house is everyone’s dream. However, it is not likely to happen when clutter conquers the space. You might think to overcome this problem by purchasing new shelves or cabinets. They may help you get rid of clutter, but they will also take up some space.
Therefore, investing in multipurpose storage will be your safe bet.
Even better, if you can hide it away. So, check out these 12 hidden and secret storage for the living room. As always, Simphome presents you with the list:
This closet used to be unorganized and inefficient; it only had one shelf on top and one rod. As a result, clothes are jumbled together.
Look at it now. This closet has turned into a practical and efficient one. You do not need to rip up the walls to expand the space. You only need to add more shelves on top and the bottom, baskets, and hooks to hang your coats.
Consider installing one or two hooks on the door so that you can make use of every nook and cranny you have in this closet.
11. How To Make A TV Lift Cabinet
The TV usually becomes the focal point in a living room. However, it can distract people sometimes. You do not have to discard it altogether, though. Hide it away, instead.
You can make this console table with a lift mechanism to hide your TV. It may sound like a daunting task. However, it is not an impossible mission.
If you want to make this console table, you will need to construct the carcass from birch plywood. You will also need soft close hinges for the side cabinet doors. You will use these cabinets to store a DVD player, Play Station, and stuff.
The show’s star is the Firgelli lift that allows the TV to emerge from the console table. You need to follow the instructions, tap the button to pop it up, or hide it away, and you’re good to go.
10. The DIY Storage Chaise Lounge
Having a piece of multipurpose furniture is a blessing. Unfortunately, it can be pricey somehow. Therefore, instead of splurging your budget on a fancy couch or ottoman, you can try making this chaise lounge.
You can begin with making the frame. Then, add 3-inch foam for extra comfort, use batting, and upholster it. After that, you can make the seat.
The seat plays an important role. You will be able to lift it to access the storage underneath it.
To do this, you can use brackets or a hinge mechanism.
Once the frame for the seat is ready, you can add foam and upholster it. Then, you can assemble it with the body. Do not forget to install the hinge mechanism, though.
Many people leave the area under the stairs untapped due to the awkward space. It provides potential storage if you know how to tap into it.
This closet, for example, allows you to use this area efficiently. You will find a rod and a shelf when you open the door. But, wait! That is not all.
This closet can do more. When you lift the rod and use the magic key, you will open the back part, which is a door, to access more shelves.
- You will find new Hinges on the side of the door and at the bottom of the closet
- You can lift the rod to access more storage space
- You can use cabinets under a stair for cleaning supplies, clothing, shoes, and other items. Also, you can choose to use them as a pantry.
8. A Simple Mirror idea With storage @tinyjia
Incorporating more storage into your living room does not have to be arduous. You can make use of every nook and cranny. You can even tap into the gap behind the door.
It would be best if you hung a full-length mirror using hinges. Then, install some hooks behind the mirror so that you can store your accessories. This way, you can grab a necklace or bracelet and check your look before you go.
You can also use the space at the top rather than the bottom to complete the idea. And if you don’t want to build the mirror, you can also consider making a console table.
Alternatively, you could make your own coffee table storage.
You can use some space under your coffee table to hide storage for magazines and newspapers. To do this, you will need a transparent drawer unit and a rotating mechanism to lift it. As always, you can visit IKEA for all of your home improvement needs. If you want, you can use other materials to build the drawers, too. They are optional, though- the essential part is that you have the mechanism to lift them.
Do not forget to measure the under space before purchasing anything.
7. The electric staircase idea with storage @gigadgetsofficial
This one may not be DIY-friendly. Still, it can give you some inspiration.
This staircase can do more than provide access to the upstairs. It can be chest drawers that offer you ample storage space when not used. If you push the switch, it will turn into a staircase. Isn’t it wonderful?
To replicate the project or a similar one, you can follow this instruction:
- Step 1: Purchase a simple ladder.
- Step 2: Install it on the floor under the staircase.
- Step 3: Purchase a panel that can fit in your space and makes it look like a staircase when closed.
- Step 4: Install wheels under them to give you smooth access to the shelves inside.
- Step 5: To separate it, you will need to place a removable piece of plastic or tile between the stairs and boxes beneath it.
- Step 6: Place your items inside, take out what you need, replace the staircase, and continue cleaning under your stairs!
- Step 7: Purchase two knobs if you want to use the staircase as a stand. Then, follow the same instructions.
A classic couch or love seat may leave awkward space when you shove its side against a wall. If you can’t do anything about it, this idea will change your mind. You can talk shelves into this spot.
Since the shelves are not available in stores, you have to make it yourself. It is not that hard, though. You just need to get some plywood board and then cut it into length. The dimensions will be different depending on the space you have.
Once the shelves are ready, you can make a hole on top using a drill bit. You will use this whole to install a charger port.
5. The DIY Secret Storage Table from Nifty
Do you have an unused IKEA desk? Or do you think your IKEA desk does not incorporate storage? You can tweak it a little bit.
- First, remove the legs. Then, flip the desk and cut out a square. Do not throw it away yet because you will use it later. After that, remove the honeycomb-like cardboard inside it.
- Next, apply wood glue along the sides. Then, insert a wood piece that has the same length as the desk. After that, glue down the square piece back into the desk.
- You will find some small holes in each corner. You can conceal them using wood filler. Then, continue to spraypaint the desk.
- Repeat the previous steps to another desk. Then, assemble both desks using hinges. Next, glue down wood blocks on both sides to install a piston mechanism. Screw the legs back, and that’s it!
4. The simple crate storage project idea from @hometalk
Do you want to have an ottoman with storage, but you cannot afford one? Why don’t you just make it yourself?
- First, you only need to get a cheap wooden crate.
- Next, paint it the color of your toys.
- After that, get a wood porch for the seat and then phone and upholstery to make it more comfortable.
- Then, assemble the seat to the crate using hinges.
You can also install four casters so that you can move them wherever you want.
- Step 1: Start the project by buying a wooden crate
- Step 2: Paint the crate and let it dry
- Step 3: Purchase a wood porch for the seat. Suppose you want to put fabric or pillows on it to make it more comfortable.
- Step 4: Install casters to make moving or relocating the ottoman easier.
This idea may be hard to copy because it entails the welding process.
However, you can always make your version.
The good thing about this nightstand is it provides a drawer for storage.
Is that it? Of course not!
This type of nightstand features hidden storage that you may overlook at first glance. You can find it on the tabletop. Besides, you will need RFID Lock to access it, making it a perfect place to hide anything valuable that you do not want other people to see.
2. Customize your furniture as storage solutions @eggersmann_usa
You might think that the trim behind the TV is just paneling to create an accent wall. It packs a lot of storage. The push-to-open latches enable you to access the storage effortlessly. Furthermore, this type of hardware carves out a sleek look, which will round out your modern living room.
Relevant details or another extra:
- Step 1: Get wood or composite panels and trim with an optional decorative panel.
- Step 2: Install the panels on the furniture to create the look you want.
- Step 3: Find holdfasts to fasten them together (or make your own).
- Step 4: Install push-to-open latches.
- Step 5: You will need to find cabinet knobs and pulls (or come up with a design yourself).
1. A. Use the wooden plank to hide your humble space @Josephdecasperis
Who would have guessed that this accent wall has a wonderful secret? Many people will think that it is just a wall covered with wood planks. It turns out that the planks conceal a door to a closet.
Replicating the project is challenging, and as an alternative, you just need two pieces of wood for the door and two for the wall. Cut them into the desired length. Then, attach them using hinges and install decorative hardware on one side of the door. It is pretty much it!
Relevant details or other extras:
- First, get the wood you will use for this project from your local home depot or lumber store. Get wood planks or a board no larger than 8 feet long and at least 4 inches wide (or wider). However, if your space is bigger than 8 feet x 4 inches, you can always cut it down to size.
- Second, measure the space you want the wall to cover. You can also use the closet or other door to make this happen. Make sure you measure your space, then subtract 1 inch after it is cut. Also, measure your cabinet or other storage devices. The best way to do this would be to attach a pencil or even ruler to one side of your door and position it as close as possible to the other point it will belong to and then move it left and right while still keeping track of where they are going.
- Third, when attaching them, use hinges at both ends so that one end can swing open. Then, check to make sure it is even on all sides. You can also use clamps to help you and make sure the colors match.
- Fourth, when installing hardware for your door, make sure you consider the finishing projects, such as painting and all that fun stuff. Make sure the hardware you buy goes nicely with your paint color!
1.B. Or revamp your entertainment center to store and hide your game consoles @houseonparkway
This accent wall is not only a house for the TV and fireplace. You will find ample storage space with many shelves behind it when you look it further. You can store joystick, DVD player, and stuff there.
To build a similar project like this one, your instructions are:
- Step 1: Get a storage wall unit identical to your TV. To find out how much space you need, add 1 inch on both sides and top and bottom of your television.
- Step 2: Next, make sure you get the correct measurements between your shelves to not hang over or under each other.
- Step 3: This is optional, but we highly recommend it- paint the wood darker to match your wall color. Then, install wooden shelving in it to create a visually appealing design.
Relevant details or another extra:
- First, measure the front of the television for width and height. You can also use a door measuring as close to the design you want as possible.
- Second, decide what kind of wood you want to put on a stencil or paint. If you are using wood planks, measure 2 inches on both sides and the top and bottom of the planks to make sure they fit together correctly.
- Third, if you don’t have a wall unit that is wide enough for your television, you can use wooden boards or even tongue and groove paneling. Just make sure you cut them down to size so that they fit in your space.
These 12 hidden and secret storage for the living room ideas are superb. They will help you get rid of clutter and make your home look more stylish. More importantly, no one will notice them.