A kitchen island provides storage and display. Even better, it can also be a dining table where you can tuck away your morning toast and orange juice for breakfast. Unfortunately, some stylish kitchen island available in home-improvement stores can cost an arm and a leg, leaving you DIY works as your only option. In this list, I have compiled 10 cheap DIY kitchen island ideas that I think won’t hurt anyone’s bank account. As usual, I made this list for you for simphome.com
10. Transforming a cabinet into a kitchen island
If you are strolling around the neighborhood and come across second-hand cabinets that are still in a pretty good shape in a garage sale, don’t miss the chance to buy it. Trust me! These cabinets can turn into a fabulous kitchen island. They just need a little tweak.
First, you need to remove the doors, hardware, and face frame. Second, paint them. Third, assemble an open shelf and install them in the center of kitchen island, separating the left and right side. Fourth, to finish the hack you need use cleat and hooks.
If the frame of the cabinet is still sturdy but suffer blemishes, cover them with leftover paneling. To make the kitchen island look more special, add trim pieces at the top and bottom of it.
Lastly, slide in a dust bin on each side of the open shelf, add doors, hinges, castor, and legs. In the end, you have a kitchen island with accessible dust bins that you can hide and unhide at will without lot of efforts.
9. Farmhouse Kitchen Island
Curvy legs, rustic legs, and shabby table tops. If combination of these words is beauty in your mind, Next, I’ll tell you a formula how to produce it. First, you’re going to need 1X4 pine for the sides and bottom rack, 1X10 pine boards for the top, 4 stair case posts, wood glue, and a link inside description.
First, cut pine boards that you’re going to use to make a bottom rack, then line them up by attaching each end of the pieces on the two ends.
Once the bottom rack is done, attach it to the bottom legs, then attach the top boards. Since the bottom rack consists of a lot of wood, the hack needs you to add two extra legs supporting the kitchen island in order to make it sturdier. These extra legs will be useful especially if your kids often have sudden urges to climb up your island.
8 A Barn Wood Kitchen Island with Towel Holders
One of the best ways to salt away some money during any furniture makeover is by using leftover wood boards. It brings smile to our friends in environmental foundations and adds a well-worn look that many homeowners are crazy about.
This kitchen island is made of old barn wood. Before working with the boards, give them a good scrubbing using soap, water, and a scrubbing brush. After that, let them dry.
Now, let’s work with the top. First, Place the boards side by side. They have to be 23”x37”. 3 pieces of wood aligned side by side 23 inches across and cut 37 inches long. Next, take another two boards and cut them into 18” in length. You need them to connect your planks.
Pre-drill them first before you attach them with wood screws. After Done, start assemble the sides and legs. For a perfect finish, sand down your new rustic-kitchen island before applying three coats of polyurethane. A Comment said a best feature of this hack submitted by two towel racks that anyone can use to access towels when needed. There is no way I could disagree it.
7. A Simple Kitchen Island idea
This kitchen island is suitable for a busy person like you who does not have enough time to take more than a single DIY project a year. It is simple, cheap, functional, and reliable in a good or bad day. It features three drawers, a bottom rack that functions as an additional storage, and your taste of woodworking art.
To make this kitchen island, First, you’re going to need plywood, wood glue, wood filler, 3 set of 12” bottom mount drawer slides, and a link from oldpaintdesign. They’re proud sharing it publicly. To finish this hack, you have freedom to stain it whatever you like, or even paint it – anything that personalizes your style is welcomed.
6. A Rustic Kitchen Island idea
When stepping into this kitchen, a rustic kitchen island will gaze your eyes. DIY jar lamps shed beautiful light onto the kitchen island which is the most conspicuous thing in this kitchen. You can also bring this look home.
Author of this DIY used some old wooden boards assembled together using screws or nails. It comes with an open space under its worktop, allowing anyone sit comfortably without bumping knees onto solid support posts. It also has two open shelves functioned as extra storage and it invites you to click link inside description area to learn more.
5. Effortless Kitchen Island
This is another challenging kitchen island hack that you can include in your next DIY agenda. It is tricky, but, with a piece of wood (material for a table top), 4×4’s wood (for the legs), and some planks (for the long side apron pieces), you can solve it.
Once you’ve got these supplies, assemble them using nails or screws, and complete it with staining or painting them as you please.
4. An Elegant Kitchen Island idea
Improving a look of your kitchen doesn’t always entail a lot of work and major overhauls. First, look around your kitchen and figure out what you can do with your existing furniture like your kitchen island, for example.
You don’t have to throw your weekend in your garage to make a new kitchen island. All you need to do is just buying faux stone tiles and cover the legs of your existing kitchen island with them. And, Done! A brand-new kitchen island is all yours.
3. Free Pallet Mocktail Bar
This wooden bar can be alternative spot to hang out with your friends or family. And a decent kitchen island or olive oil storage solutions if wine or mock-tail testing is not your thing. It is affordable, required materials are mostly free, and it is mobile. Just find two wood pallets, clean them, sand them if you need, lay them on top of your existing table, and invite everyone to admire your new kitchen centerpiece.
Lastly! You might need to cover the not-so-good-looking table with a white cloth before stacking the pallets. To kick it up a notch, convert some wooden crates into wooden stools. Make sure they are sturdy enough and you’re good to go.
2. A Kitchen Island with Pegboard
Crave more storage? Get your hand on this brilliant kitchen island hack. First, get some pegboards and affix them to the front of your kitchen island. Add some hooks to the pegboard, Then, hang your spatulas, baskets, and plastic buckets. Like what you can see in this picture. That’s it, you’ve killed two birds with one stone. You get your kitchen island renewed and have more storage for your kitchen utensils.
1. Modern White Kitchen Island
This kitchen island requires advanced carpentry skills and your valor. More over when hammer, nails, or screws generate traumas. Otherwise, you’ll need recycled pallets and a little MDF for the bottom shelf and backing. You also need to use clamps to keep the side pieces together while you are screwing the back support. Once you assembled all the pieces, you can work on the finish.
Tip: use gel stain for the top and accentuate it with polyurethane for a perfect sleek look. if you are not sure about this information, don’t hesitate visit hyperlink for more guidance. And may be together with someone with a professional woodworker’s title on his name’s card.
Those are 10 DIY kitchen island ideas that you can do by yourself at home. Or at least try. Some of them won’t cost you anything if you have the materials needed already while some others might need extra money and see you again later, may be, with more makeover ideas in the near future.
Recommended Lists for You:
Some people say that their life would be more complete when they have already figured out some of the side table and end table hacks. Although these two kinds of tables have less importance and function rather than the common table for the living room, study room, and also guests’ room, yet these two tables are the accessories in order to beautify your house. They are the tiny but it has its cuteness in it. You can place these two kinds of chairs at both sides of your bed, at the corner of the room, next to the sofa, near the table for the guests’ room, and many more.
In this article, you can have a quick look about the DIY from IKEA and also non IKEA products which may have captured your heart started from the first impression. By reading thoroughly in this article, you will notice that there are so many kinds of tables. These tables don’t have to be just common and plain. It can be decorative and it may have a wide range of materials such as from the log, from recycling from the old door, the industrial style, and many more. You won’t believe that these things are real in life.
It may be because people are sometimes stuck and think inside the box, thinking that the common table would be that kind of table at school. In fact, there would be so many tables hacks that you can get for having better way of living at home. You should have figured more of these side table and end table hacks so that you will replace your old side table or your end table to be something stylish and fabulous.
When you are curious of finding more inspirations, click this link to get complete information.
Join Our List, It’s Free !
As life has given you many facilities such as the IKEA haul and non IKEA, it seems like you can get what you want or at least something similar to what you really would like to have. You can have most of your products in high uniqueness level that no one else can have the same thing like yours. When other people have a chair that is made up of the standard wood, you can have your own chair in the material of feed sack. It doesn’t make you look like a low people who use that kind of thing at home. In fact, you should be grateful since no one is going to imitate your style and that would be only you who have this kind of chair.
Enough talking, this IKEA haul and non IKEA will provide a lot of products to own instead of buying the suffocating price products that people can imitate or have the same products like yours. Another example is about the beverage station. Most of people’s beverage stations only stand for the place to put the glasses on the top of the station. In fact, by installing some screws and brackets you will be able to provide more space into the station. Let’s say that you like to ask some people to come over and enjoy your coffee or beer. Thus, it would be unpleasing when you see that you have not many glasses available at the station.
People would lose their appetite to enjoy your drinks. In order to overcome this kind of issue, you need to find out more hacks about the IKEA and non IKEA products since it brings you a lot of benefits for your daily life. if you are interested to find out more products, click this link.
Our Recommended List Archived from January 2019 :
- 60+ IKEA Furniture and Storage Creative Makeovers. (With a Video)
- 60 Vintage and Shabby Chic Décor Ideas. (With a Video)
- 45 IKEA Makeover Products. (With a Video)
- 37 IKEA Furniture Upgrade ideas. (With a Video)
- 32 Furniture Hauls (IKEA and non IKEA). (With a Video)
- 30+ Side Table Hacks (IKEA and Non IKEA). (With a Video)
- 30 Home’s Furniture Makeovers. (With a Video)
- 25 Decor Ideas from Kids’ unused toys. (With a Video)
- 22 Ideas For Increasing Home’s Curb Appeal. (With a Video)
- 20 DIY Projects for Anyone Living in a Boring Space. (With a Video)
- 20 Bathroom Remodel ideas That won’t cost you Fortune. (With a Video)
- 20 Creative DIY projects For Anyone Living In A Small Space. (With a Video)
- 20 Smart DIY Hidden Storage Ideas that keep your Clutter in check. (With a Video)
- 20 Lit Small Bedroom Organizing Ideas Worth Trying. (With a Video)
- 20 Organization Projects and decoration for a Small Living Room. (With a Video)
- 20 Decor Projects That will upgrade your Home. (With a Video)
- 20 Creative and Clever Indoor Garden Ideas. (With a Video)
- 15 DIY Organization project for Small Bedroom 2.
- 15 DIY Organization project for Small Bedroom. (With a Video)
- 13 DIY Projects to better Optimize your Kitchen Space. (With a Video)
- 12 Low-Budget DIY Storage and Organization Ideas That Look Expensive. (With a Video)
- 12 Bedroom Space-Saving and Closet organization Ideas. (With a Video)
- 12+ Ways How to Makeover A Room’s Furniture. (With Whiteboard Videos)
- 12 Décor Ideas Using Art Resin.
- 12 Cheap IKEA Shopping Ideas. (With a Video)
- 11 DIY Project ideas for Small and Limited Space Bedroom. (With a Video)
- 10 Space Saving Bedroom Ideas.
- 10 Simple Bedroom Designs for Small Space.
- 10 DIY Shelf Organizer Ideas.
- 10 Storage Organizer Ideas For Small Bedroom.
- 10 Small Bedroom Decorating Ideas.
- 10 Clothing Organizing ideas You Need to Know.
- 10 Bedroom Organization Ideas to Boost Your Mood.
- 10 Clever Pantry Organizations.
- 10 Apartment Decor Ideas Inspired by IKEA.
- 10 DIY Desk Organizer Ideas.
- 10 Modern Bathroom ideas on a Budget.
- 10 DIY Storage Organizers for Small Bathroom.
- DecoBros Mesh Cabinet Basket Organizer, Bronze, Review and Comparison.
- Gothic Home Décor to Dramatically Chance Your House Appearance.
Follow this blog and keep updated !
Recommend topic related to DIY project ideas:
- Thrift Shop Storage Cube Transformation idea.
- DIY idea How to Optimize Limited Coat Closet.
- How to Makeover A Craft Store Bin to a Stylist bin.
- Effective Pantry Organization Revealed- 5 Ideas You Need to Know.
- How to make a simple Lego table for your Little Boys/Girls.
- DIY Switch Plate upgrade – How to do it like a pro.
- How to Paint Your Furniture Fabric to make it look like Leather.
- How to Hack Ikea Vittsjo Laptop Stand with a Butcher Block.
- How to makeover Old Rustic Bar Stool using spray paint.
- How to Refresh an Antique Mirror with Spray Paint.
- How to Build A Window Seat Made FROM IKEA STOLMEN.
- How to make a mail center from Kvissle magazine rack.
- How to Turn Plain IKEA Curtains Into White Columns .
- How to Turn Ugly Coffee Table to A Marble like Coffee Table.
- How to Renew Sagging Cushion.
- How to build Easy Inexpensive Planter Tall Makeover ideas.
- How to Build a DIY Corkboard + Planter.
- DIY Project idea – How to Makeover a mid-century chair.
- How to makeover Cracking Furniture.
- DIY How to Make Indoor Pallet sofa and Outdoor.
- 9 DIY Organization Tips You Need to Know.