A kitchen island provides storage and display. Even better, it can also be a dining table where you can tuck away your morning toast and orange juice for breakfast. Unfortunately, some stylish kitchen island available in home-improvement stores can cost an arm and a leg, leaving you DIY works as your only option. In this list, I have compiled 10 cheap DIY kitchen island ideas that I think won’t hurt anyone’s bank account. As usual, I made this list for you for simphome.com
10. Transforming a cabinet into a kitchen island
If you are strolling around the neighborhood and come across second-hand cabinets that are still in a pretty good shape in a garage sale, don’t miss the chance to buy it. Trust me! These cabinets can turn into a fabulous kitchen island. They just need a little tweak.
First, you need to remove the doors, hardware, and face frame. Second, paint them. Third, assemble an open shelf and install them in the center of kitchen island, separating the left and right side. Fourth, to finish the hack you need use cleat and hooks.
If the frame of the cabinet is still sturdy but suffer blemishes, cover them with leftover paneling. To make the kitchen island look more special, add trim pieces at the top and bottom of it.
Lastly, slide in a dust bin on each side of the open shelf, add doors, hinges, castor, and legs. In the end, you have a kitchen island with accessible dust bins that you can hide and unhide at will without lot of efforts.
9. Farmhouse Kitchen Island
Curvy legs, rustic legs, and shabby table tops. If combination of these words is beauty in your mind, Next, I’ll tell you a formula how to produce it. First, you’re going to need 1X4 pine for the sides and bottom rack, 1X10 pine boards for the top, 4 stair case posts, wood glue, and a link inside description.
First, cut pine boards that you’re going to use to make a bottom rack, then line them up by attaching each end of the pieces on the two ends.
Once the bottom rack is done, attach it to the bottom legs, then attach the top boards. Since the bottom rack consists of a lot of wood, the hack needs you to add two extra legs supporting the kitchen island in order to make it sturdier. These extra legs will be useful especially if your kids often have sudden urges to climb up your island.
8 A Barn Wood Kitchen Island with Towel Holders
One of the best ways to salt away some money during any furniture makeover is by using leftover wood boards. It brings smile to our friends in environmental foundations and adds a well-worn look that many homeowners are crazy about.
This kitchen island is made of old barn wood. Before working with the boards, give them a good scrubbing using soap, water, and a scrubbing brush. After that, let them dry.
Now, let’s work with the top. First, Place the boards side by side. They have to be 23”x37”. 3 pieces of wood aligned side by side 23 inches across and cut 37 inches long. Next, take another two boards and cut them into 18” in length. You need them to connect your planks.
Pre-drill them first before you attach them with wood screws. After Done, start assemble the sides and legs. For a perfect finish, sand down your new rustic-kitchen island before applying three coats of polyurethane. A Comment said a best feature of this hack submitted by two towel racks that anyone can use to access towels when needed. There is no way I could disagree it.
7. A Simple Kitchen Island idea
This kitchen island is suitable for a busy person like you who does not have enough time to take more than a single DIY project a year. It is simple, cheap, functional, and reliable in a good or bad day. It features three drawers, a bottom rack that functions as an additional storage, and your taste of woodworking art.
To make this kitchen island, First, you’re going to need plywood, wood glue, wood filler, 3 set of 12” bottom mount drawer slides, and a link from oldpaintdesign. They’re proud sharing it publicly. To finish this hack, you have freedom to stain it whatever you like, or even paint it – anything that personalizes your style is welcomed.
6. A Rustic Kitchen Island idea
When stepping into this kitchen, a rustic kitchen island will gaze your eyes. DIY jar lamps shed beautiful light onto the kitchen island which is the most conspicuous thing in this kitchen. You can also bring this look home.
Author of this DIY used some old wooden boards assembled together using screws or nails. It comes with an open space under its worktop, allowing anyone sit comfortably without bumping knees onto solid support posts. It also has two open shelves functioned as extra storage and it invites you to click link inside description area to learn more.
5. Effortless Kitchen Island
This is another challenging kitchen island hack that you can include in your next DIY agenda. It is tricky, but, with a piece of wood (material for a table top), 4×4’s wood (for the legs), and some planks (for the long side apron pieces), you can solve it.
Once you’ve got these supplies, assemble them using nails or screws, and complete it with staining or painting them as you please.
4. An Elegant Kitchen Island idea
Improving a look of your kitchen doesn’t always entail a lot of work and major overhauls. First, look around your kitchen and figure out what you can do with your existing furniture like your kitchen island, for example.
You don’t have to throw your weekend in your garage to make a new kitchen island. All you need to do is just buying faux stone tiles and cover the legs of your existing kitchen island with them. And, Done! A brand-new kitchen island is all yours.
3. Free Pallet Mocktail Bar
This wooden bar can be alternative spot to hang out with your friends or family. And a decent kitchen island or olive oil storage solutions if wine or mock-tail testing is not your thing. It is affordable, required materials are mostly free, and it is mobile. Just find two wood pallets, clean them, sand them if you need, lay them on top of your existing table, and invite everyone to admire your new kitchen centerpiece.
Lastly! You might need to cover the not-so-good-looking table with a white cloth before stacking the pallets. To kick it up a notch, convert some wooden crates into wooden stools. Make sure they are sturdy enough and you’re good to go.
2. A Kitchen Island with Pegboard
Crave more storage? Get your hand on this brilliant kitchen island hack. First, get some pegboards and affix them to the front of your kitchen island. Add some hooks to the pegboard, Then, hang your spatulas, baskets, and plastic buckets. Like what you can see in this picture. That’s it, you’ve killed two birds with one stone. You get your kitchen island renewed and have more storage for your kitchen utensils.
1. Modern White Kitchen Island
This kitchen island requires advanced carpentry skills and your valor. More over when hammer, nails, or screws generate traumas. Otherwise, you’ll need recycled pallets and a little MDF for the bottom shelf and backing. You also need to use clamps to keep the side pieces together while you are screwing the back support. Once you assembled all the pieces, you can work on the finish.
Tip: use gel stain for the top and accentuate it with polyurethane for a perfect sleek look. if you are not sure about this information, don’t hesitate visit hyperlink for more guidance. And may be together with someone with a professional woodworker’s title on his name’s card.
Those are 10 DIY kitchen island ideas that you can do by yourself at home. Or at least try. Some of them won’t cost you anything if you have the materials needed already while some others might need extra money and see you again later, may be, with more makeover ideas in the near future.
Recommended Lists for You:
Having an old-fashioned living room might need you to know some ways on how to update your living room. For some people it might be something that isn’t necessary to do such thing since a home will always be home. Whatever it may look like, it will always be the best place to stay in. It is indeed true but for some other reasons the importance of updating your living room would be a good idea. It may be for the reasons of pleasure, comfort, and also satisfaction to serve all of the family members and also some guests who like to drop by and spend time there.
Can you even imagine being a guest who is going to come to your house by having high expectation and when you did come the living room that you spend most of your time looks plain and also unattractive at all? That might be one of the reasons that you need to know some ways on how to update your living room. Trust me, by updating your living room your soul will be replenished and your will start to have fresh and brand new living room. You will be totally pleased in welcoming all of your guests.
It will be started by cleaning all parts of the living room. It includes the area under the living room furniture, places under the carpet, the windows, the tables, the chairs, and everything. Then you can change the placement of the living room furniture to start new. In order to bring some colors into your living room at home, you can add some decorative pillows in bright colors to bring the playful vibe into it. For the wall arts, you can have some ideas such as adding the wall painting, wall letters in big size, or wall decorative items. What about you? Check hyperlink for more detail!
Join Our List, It’s Free !
How to optimize a small kitchen room? Yes, this kind of question will mostly appear in your mind when you run out of the idea in expanding the space in your kitchen. As kitchen will be the most visited and used place of all places at home, it is quite necessary to optimize the space of the kitchen so that all of the cooking experience and cooking preparation can be done in a relaxing way. The fact that people would be likely used by the people is that they can do nothing about changing the small size of their kitchen room.
Yes, in this long list you are going to get a lot of information on how to optimize a small kitchen room. It is mostly about how you will use the space of your kitchen in an optimal way so that all of the cooking utensils and the food stock can be stacked up in a perfect way. You can make a bottle becomes a push up jar. You can build some shelves to be your useful spices and herbs shelves. When you have plain wall, you can take use of this space to build three layers shelves for the spices or also herbs. This is very essential especially for those who enjoy cooking and they can’t live without cooking every single day.
There would be more than 10 amazing tricks that you can do it at home which will bring a lot of impacts for your kitchen. It may be simple but it will give you more space at the kitchen. The main thing to highlight is that you need to take use of the plain wall to be used as the place either for shelves, can storage, or anything. It is very important to know how to optimize a small kitchen room. Read more by clicking this link.
Our Recommended List Archived from February 2019 :
- 75 Cheap Dollar Store Decor ideas. (With a Video)
- 40 Smart IKEA Organization ideas for whole aspects of your life. (With a Video)
- 33 Organizing Small Household Item ideas. (With a Video)
- 20 Organization ideas How to Make Small Room look Bigger. (With a Video)
- 31 Easy IKEA hacks for your Kid’s room. (With a Video)
- 20 Small House Decor ideas. (With a Video)
- 20 Easy Interior Design Ideas for Small Apartments.
- 10 Home Makeover Furniture Ideas for Anyone Living in a Small Bedroom.
- 10 Home Decor Furniture Ideas for Anyone Living in A Small Space.
- 10 Bedroom Ideas for Small Sleeping Room Owners.
- 10 DIY Small Living Room Decor Ideas.
- 10 Living Room Interior Design Ideas for People in a Budget.
- 10 Small Living Room Makeover Ideas.
- 10 Room Makeover Ideas for Cheap.
- 10 Cheap Bedroom Design Ideas.
- 10 DIY Project Home Decorations.
- 10 Bedroom Design Ideas for Kids.
- 10 Wall Decor Ideas for Boring Walls.
- 10 Creative and Cheap Spice Storage and 5 from Recycled Stuff.
- 10 Clever Closet Systems You Should At least Try Once.
- 5 Creative Garden Container Ideas.
- 5 Cute Planter Ideas for Your Small Garden.
- 5 Space Saving and Easy DIY Organizer Ideas for Limited Space Garden.
- 5 Ways How To Build Brilliant Garden Container ideas.
- 5 Easy and Cheap Vertical Organizer Ideas for Indoor Garden.
- 5 Clever DIY Organizing Ideas for an Eye-Catching Rooftop Garden.
- Fleur De Lis Home Décor for Luxury House.
Follow this blog and keep updated !
Recommend topic related to DIY project ideas:
- Thrift Shop Storage Cube Transformation idea.
- DIY idea How to Optimize Limited Coat Closet.
- How to Makeover A Craft Store Bin to a Stylist bin.
- Effective Pantry Organization Revealed- 5 Ideas You Need to Know.
- How to make a simple Lego table for your Little Boys/Girls.
- DIY Switch Plate upgrade – How to do it like a pro.
- How to Paint Your Furniture Fabric to make it look like Leather.
- How to Hack Ikea Vittsjo Laptop Stand with a Butcher Block.
- How to makeover Old Rustic Bar Stool using spray paint.
- How to Refresh an Antique Mirror with Spray Paint.
- How to Build A Window Seat Made FROM IKEA STOLMEN.
- How to make a mail center from Kvissle magazine rack.
- How to Turn Plain IKEA Curtains Into White Columns .
- How to Turn Ugly Coffee Table to A Marble like Coffee Table.
- How to Renew Sagging Cushion.
- How to build Easy Inexpensive Planter Tall Makeover ideas.
- How to Build a DIY Corkboard + Planter.
- DIY Project idea – How to Makeover a mid-century chair.
- How to makeover Cracking Furniture.
- DIY How to Make Indoor Pallet sofa and Outdoor.
- 9 DIY Organization Tips You Need to Know.