The same goes for your closet. A small bedroom cannot be made cozier by only adding more clothes, accessories, and other items. You will only feel cramped and suffocated if you do so. What better way to make the small bedroom look bigger is by organizing things efficiently?
✔ Firstly, We would like to emphasize that all rooms in your house need to be organized, no matter how spacious or crowded. Remember that an organized home makes it easy to keep it clean and dust-free. This simple idea is the key to making your house look good at all times.
When organizing a small bedroom, you should focus on closets, space, and decoration. A nice color scheme will also help make your bedroom look bigger. You should organize your closet as well for you to dress comfortably and style yourself faster in the morning. Decorating your bedroom is not difficult, but this depends on the type of bedroom theme you have, whether traditional or modern.
✔ Secondly, We would like to emphasize that your bedroom and closets can also be used as storage. You should put all of the items you need to keep in your closet in one place, so you do not have to search for them. You can arrange them according to their uses and needs.
To arrange things efficiently, we would like to advise you on some hints:
- Clear out all of your clothes from the closet. Everything else will look better when there is less stuff around. When organizing a small bedroom, focus on what you wear frequently and what is important to keep close by.
- Use hangers that are uniform in size. Choosing hangers with the same diameter will prevent your clothes from slipping and sliding on the hangers.
- Arrange all of your clothes according to clothing classification. In other words, segregate your closet according to how you would like to organize your clothes. For example, you may want to separate your shirts from pants and skirts; or you may want to separate your shirts by color. This idea will make it easy for you when searching for a certain type of garment, especially if you have a lot of stuff.
- Use the space inside closets to store things that are not garment-related. In other words, you can store decorative items, luggage, and any other household items there.
- Install shelves inside your closet if you have enough space to spare. This idea will make it easier for you to organize your things because you can easily reach for them in case of an emergency. Remember that reaching for stuff will always be easier when it is placed higher.
- Let the hangers know their place and position them properly. Hangers should be uniformly placed so clothes do not slip from one hanger to another. Furthermore, hangers should also be sized appropriately. They should be sized according to how big or small the clothing is.
One of the struggles of having a small bedroom is arranging the layout to make the most of the little room. You will also have to design your closet thoroughly and make sure it helps you organize your clothes more easily without taking up more space.
If you seek some ideas to organize your clothes and accessories, you have come to the right place. We have gathered 10 updated closet ideas for small bedrooms to help hold clutter at bay and use the limited space efficiently. As always, Simphome presents you with the list. Here if you want to get a more organized bedroom without any closet.
🔊10 Updated Closet Ideas for Small Bedrooms Video:
15 DIY Organization Project for Small Bedroom Part 1
15 DIY Organization project for Small Bedroom Part 2
10. Shove More Storage under Clothes
If you think your closet cannot handle more, you may be wrong. By tweaking it a bit, you will get more storage that will enable you to organize your clothes and accessories better.
First, take everything out of your closet because it is always good to start fresh.
Then, consider raising your rod a few feet from its position. This way, you can have plenty of space underneath, and you can shove a dresser or shoe rack in the closet for more storage solutions. It is a simple way to organize your clothes in your closet, yet it can significantly impact.
- Step 1: Take everything out of your closets. Begin by taking out all the bags of clothes lying on the floor.
- Step 2: Now, take a long metal rod with you to insert it in between two studs. You will use the rod to lower your closet door.
- Step 3: Remove your closet door and secure it at the top to hang everything neatly across the middle section of your room and avoid crushing things inside.
Voila, you now have enough space for more hanging space for all those pieces of clothes and accessories.
9. Tiny Walk-In Closet Improvement Ideas
You might think that you cannot have a walk-in closet because of limited space. The truth is you can create one.
This closet has proven that a small space is not a big obstacle to organizing your clothes. Since it is a walk-in closet, you need to leave some room in the middle for the foot traffic.
- Then, install wall-mounted shelves and a hanging rod on the right and left sides of the closet. Bear in mind that the key to an organized closet is how you arrange your stuff. Consider storing less-used items like seasonal clothes and hiking backpacks on the top shelf close to the ceiling.
- Then, you can shove shoe racks under each hanging rod. Make sure they come in the same design to create symmetry.
8. Use Sliding Doors
If your bedroom is super small, using a swing-out closet door will be awkward. This type of closet door allows for maximum storage. However, you have to leave adequate clearance around the closet to enable the door to open fully, which is quite tricky for a tiny room.
Therefore, you need to consider replacing your swing-out closet door with sliding doors. This type of door gives you access to the closet by moving aside. It does not need to swing out, meaning you can save the space around the closet.
- Step 1: Prepare required materials such as a long and wide door frame, wood sliding doors, hinges, screws, and installation tools.
- Step 2: Then, mount the door hinges to the door frame. Attach the screws to secure it in place.
- Step 3: After that, install mounted sliding doors to the closet. Make sure you leave enough space for them to open fully without hitting the wall or foot traffic nearby.
Put up hooks on the inside of your sliding doors; this will hold your clothes while they are hanging and make it easier to slide them back into their respective containers once they are done being worn.
- Step 4: Install a rod on the inside of your closet. You need this to hold pants, shirts, and skirts.
Extra idea: Get a Closet Rod System
If you think your closet is too messy because stuff is lying everywhere and on the floor, it may be time to get a rod system or ClosetMaids for a quick answer. This system lets you install multiple rods that can hold clothes and accessories in place for easy access. The best part about this system is that it does not take much space from the room.
No 1. Preparations
- Step 1: Get the necessary materials such as a rod, hooks, screws, etc.
- Step 2: Install all rods in separate areas of your closet. Make sure you leave enough space for them to move freely.
- Step 3: Then, mount hooks on each rod and hang clothes and accessories. This trick is a good way to save space in your room since rods do not require additional spaces in the room for installation because they are mounted to tracks.
No 2. Get a Rod Holder System
If you have decided to get a closet rod system after seeing the previous instructions, you need to get more than just a one-rod system to organize your clothes better.
- Step 1: Install as many rods as you need to separate your closet into sections. Generally, you may use one rod per type of clothing.
- Step 2: Use both sides of the closet to create one big storage area for clothes. Consider using hooks on the back for hanging shirts and pants on the front side of your closet.
Consider getting a fabric wardrobe to store your accessories in one place. You can install it along the track, or you may hang it from each rod system, depending on your layout design and storage needs.
You can add more storage containers by placing baskets on the floor since they are very handy in storing items that do not require much space, like socks and underwear.
- Step 3: Install the rods on the inside of your closet. This trick is an excellent way to hold hangers and keep your things in place without falling on the floor.
No 3. Use Closet Storage units
Some people think that they have no space in their tiny bedrooms, but they do have enough left to create a closet storage unit. In this case, you may need to create a partition in one corner of your room behind the door to install a closet storage unit with shelves and hanging hooks.
This multipurpose space allows you to organize all your clothes and accessories while creating more space for yourself in such a small room.
- Step 1: Install one corner of the wall behind your door. This trick will produce one large space for your storage unit.
- Step 2: Then, fill the space with shelves and hangers. Use hooks to hang each level of the shelves. The shelves should be tall enough, so they do not obstruct access to your items.
- Step 3: Install a rod system on the outside of your closet. The rod will hold your clothes and accessories while you hang them inside your closet. Consider using wire hangers since they can be attached to hooks better than plastic hangers since they have more strength.
7. Use Every Nook and Cranny
This bedroom uses every space to present storage solutions for the owner. Instead of positioning the closet against the wall across from the bed, you can place it behind the bed to form a multipurpose headboard.
Since the closet also acts as a headboard, you may need to consider installing sliding doors instead of swing-out doors. This way, you can save some space. Besides, you will not bump your head. You can also incorporate more storage solutions by making drawers under the bed and nightstand.
6. Apply a new Open Closet System
The open closet system has always been the go-to solution for those struggling with limited space. Unlike the cupboard and built-in counterpart, an open closet system is flexible. You can mount as many shelves as you want.
1. Start with your bed.
- Step 1: Position your bed in the center of the wall where you have enough space for an open closet system.
- Step 2: Measure your bed to get a size easily accessible for your arms to reach clothes on top of them. This measurement will also help you create a layout that does not allow clothes and accessories to fall from the closet system.
- Step 3: Then, build the open closet system on top of the bed and make sure it is attached securely to avoid it falling once you load it with clothes and accessories.
2. Build an open closet system with shelves.
- Step 1: Measure all the parts of the structure so you can decide how many shelves are needed to build it effectively.
- Step 2: Construct the shelves, and secure them with brackets on top of your bed.
- Step 3: Install a rod system on the outside of the closet so you can hang clothes and accessories from hooks. If you have enough space, consider installing another rod system above your bed to hold your stuff like ties and hats.
3. Add some more storage space with nightstands.
- Step 1: Install a drawer under each nightstand for extra storage space to hold small items like socks and underwear. Use the back of doors to hang clothes and accessories or even store items in baskets or bins that do not require much space but still need to be placed somewhere in your room.
- Step 2: Install a shelf or hanging bar on top of each nightstand to create more storage space for items like the phone and tablet.
- Step 3: Add drawers under your bed to create more storage space for large items like coats and bags. You may even consider installing a small table in the bedroom and using it as an end table.
5. Bring Them up Close to the ceiling
This one is another open closet system that you can take into consideration.
Try installing hanging rods close to the ceiling right above the headboard. This way, you can have more space for more rods and dressers underneath.
You may also need to consider investing in a rolling ladder that easily helps you access the top rod.
- No 1. Security is the priority. You need to consider installing a locking system on top of your closet and not just all your clothes and accessories. The closet should have a lock that prevents anyone from getting inside. The lock could be a combination lock, deadbolt, or a drawer.
- No 2. Build the structure first before installing shelves on top of it so that you can secure it properly when you place the shelves.
- Step 1: Start by measuring the height of your bed, the width of each side wall, and the length of each side wall. This basic will help you determine how many drawers and closets are needed to give you more storage space under your bed without obstructing its access.
- Step 2: Then, build the structure. Use the measurements you determined to install on top of your bed until you reach the floor.
- Step 3: Build and install shelves on each side of your bed. Secure them with brackets to prevent them from tipping over once you start filling them up with clothes and accessories stored inside.
- Step 4: Install a rod system at least above your headboard since it can be handy for hanging clothes and accessories. You can even consider installing more rods below your bed for storing ties, belts, and other accessories by using the space between two sides of your bed as drawer space.
4. Think about Your Accessories
Do you store your accessories inside a drawer? If you do it, you should stop now because finding the one you need among many tiny items is frustrating and time-consuming. Therefore, you can try this ingenious yet simple solution.
Try investing in many small hooks for a significant impact. They do not have to be fancy, though. In fact, eyehooks or S hooks will do.
It will be fine if you want a bit of a vintage look by purchasing a decorative organizer like this one.
You only need to screw the hooks to any vertical space. You can use the backside of the closet door or on the wall. Then, hang your accessories there.
3. Corner Closet Ideas
Do not let any nook and cranny leave untapped. You can still have a nice closet in this awkward corner. The first thing you need to do is measure the width of this space to figure out the dimension of your closet. Then, cut the board to length. After that, assemble the pieces and install the rod, and you are good to go.
- No 1: After measuring your space, cut the planks to size. Then,
- No 2: Place the pieces where you want them, and secure them with screws.
- No 3: Secure the rod by screwing it on to ensure it will not fall or come loose during use.
- No 4: Hang up all your accessories. You can even decide to install brackets to hang a few smaller items like hats and ties underneath them.
- No 1. Install a rod system in a corner where you want your closet for clothes storage. You do not have to move anything in this awkward corner space because your closet will be there for all its needs.
- No 2. Install a rod system inside your closet so you can hang as many clothes as possible inside it.
- No 3. Build an open closet system so you can still reach clothes in the back of the closet by installing a shelf along its backside.
2. Split the Closets
Many people flank their bed with two identical nightstands sitting on each side. Now, you can take this idea to the next level by placing two closets instead.
This layout allows you to have more storage space despite your small bedroom. It is like having a single large closet, but the bed has split it in half. Then, you may need to install a sconce on each closet. This way, you can illuminate your bed while saving more space. Besides, sconces can add elegance to your small bedroom.
Lastly, 1. Do not Forget To max the potential of Your Door too
Do you think you are running out of storage space in your closet? What about your bedroom door? Have you used it to help you organize things? If you have not tapped into it, it is time for you to step up now. To use your door as additional storage, you can install racks or hooks. Then, you can hang your hats, purses, belts, or ties on them.
Some of the best ways to transform your bedroom closet are by adding additional storage. There are many tips that you can take advantage of to improve the space inside your closet.
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of closet organizers:
- No 1. The closet organizers help you stay more organized. Then, you no longer have to spend time checking if you already own an accessory before purchasing a new one. Now, they are all neatly organized inside your cupboard, so it can save your time and money in the long run.
- No 2. The organizers keep you from getting rid of clutter because they help you to store away clothes that no longer serve their purpose.
- No 3. The closet organizers maximize the space within your closet and the dressing area of your bedroom. For that reason,
- No 4. The closet organizers can help you save more money in the long run because they can reduce the amount of time spent finding things inside your closet, cutting down your stress levels and improving your overall health.
- No 5. The organizers can help you save more space because they can help you store away clothes that are no longer in style or are hanging around your closet for a very long time, so they do not drag down the aesthetic value of your bedroom.
- No 1. You need some space to invest. If you have a small bedroom and do not want to waste too much space in your closet, an organizer may not be the best choice.
- No 2. You cannot install the closet organizers inside a small closet, especially if there is no room for additional add-ons that can maximize the space, such as racks or hooks.
- No 3. The organizers may not match the style of your bedroom.
- No 4. You may not like the closet organizers you bought because they can make your bedroom look cluttered and unorganized after installing them.
- No 5. Fashion trends change quickly, so it is important to make sure that you keep up with the latest trends to ensure that you are ahead of the game when it comes to styling your closet in a more stylish way that will be attractive on its right.
Clutter is a common problem in homes worldwide due to different reasons. It can be caused by clutter victims themselves or by external factors such as poor design or everyday lifestyle changes (i.e., children, pets, aging parents).
The key to sleeping happily in a limited space is to get things organized. Thus, you can begin with these 10 updated closet ideas for small bedrooms because looking at a tidy closet may help you get a peaceful mind.
8. Livingetc.com, Ikea.co.id