In general, some updates you can try such as:
- Painting: You can paint the walls in a different color or paint them entirely different to freshen up the space and make an old look new again.
- Flooring: Change old flooring for new carpets or wood for a new, modern look.
- Window, partitions, and door styles: If you have a small living room, try to pick windows with frames that are not huge and are not too wide.
- Accent furniture: A lovely, bright decorative accent is a great way to add fun to the room.
- Lighting: Lighting can make or break any space. Try to pick lamps that are within your budget and aren’t too bright or harsh light.
- Color: Color is crucial. Try to pick a color that works well together.
- Storage: Storage is where you can play with different styles and find storage options that are fun and modern but also functional and customized for your space.
- Style: A great way to “update” a room without spending much money is by creating a new style for it.
- Mirrors: Mirrors are a great way to create the illusion of a bigger or wider room. They also help the light reflect better and bounce off of them, which helps lighten the space and make rooms look brighter.
- Green living: A great way to freshen up your living space is to have some plants. They clean the air, give it a lovely smell, and are perfect for adding a splash of color to your environment.
People have many reasons why they want to update their living rooms. Some simply do it because they are bored with the tired look and want to freshen it up. Some others want to impress friends and relatives with the upcoming festival.
Whatever your reason is, trying out a new look is necessary because it can boost your mood and bring in positive vibes. It is not that simple for a small living room, especially if your budget is limited.
Do not worry! We have got your back. These 10 small living room interior and furniture update ideas will help you make the most of the tiny space while helping you salt away some money. As always, Simphome presents you with the list.
10. Swap Your Coffee Table for an Upholstered Ottoman
A small living room does not give you many options. However, it does not mean you can give up hope of having a cozy one. You only need to be more creative and thoughtful with the layout and furniture.
Instead of placing a coffee table in the living room to set down your snacks and remote, you can try an upholstered ottoman.
An ottoman can serve double duty, which makes it better than a coffee table. You can use it as a coffee table or footrest when you need to sit back, stretch your legs, and relax. You can also use the ottoman as an extra seat when more guests come over.
Another good thing about an ottoman is that you can reupholster it to have the same color and pattern as the couch or curtains. This way, you can create uniformity.
General ideas on how to Upholster an Ottoman:
- Step 1: Prepare Ottoman and Fabric
Take your ottoman off the frame. Grab a screwdriver and remove all of the screws. Set them aside as you will need them later on. Use a drill to bore holes in the bottom of the ottoman. It will help you make a pattern by which you can sew the fabric onto it.
- Step 2: Sew Fabric Onto Ottoman
Once you have drilled some holes, take your fabric and measure it out to fit perfectly over the ottoman. Pin the fabric to the ottoman and sew it by hand. Sew the top and bottom separately so that they will easily move when you sew them together later on.
- Step 3: Cut Upholstery Fabric
Take your fabric and cut a large piece to cover the ottoman entirely. Put this piece into place on your ottoman and pin it in place. Sew the fabric onto the ottoman.
- Step 4: Sew Seams into Place
Put the ottoman with the fabric on it back onto your chair. Fold the bottom and attach it to your armrests. Now, cut a piece of foam to cover half of the ottoman. Attach it on top of your armrests as well. Use leftover tape to stitch these pieces together later on.
- Step 5: Attach Ottoman Back to Chair
Take your ottoman and place it back onto the chair. Use your screwdriver and place it into the back of your ottoman.
- Step 6: Attach Bottom to Armrests
Use your screwdriver to position the bottom of your ottoman onto your armrests.
- Step 7: Attach Top & Ottoman Arms to Top of Chair
Next, you need to attach the top part of the ottoman to the arms of the chair. You need to make sure that they are flush with each other.
- Step 8: Attach Ottoman Arms to Bottom of Chair
Lastly, you need to attach the arms of your ottoman to the bottom of your chair. This will give your ottoman a 3D look.
9. Uniformity is the Key
Imagine you are in a small living room, and you have to deal with an assorted look. If you cannot arrange the furniture properly, you will create an eyesore. For this reason, uniformity is critical when it comes to designing a small living room interior.
You can earn uniformity by applying the same color scheme on walls, flooring, and ceiling. This way, you can keep contrast to a minimum to become less aware of the limited space.
Painting the walls, ceiling, and flooring with the same color hues is indeed essential. But if you want your small living room to look bigger, you had better stick to a neutral color palette like white, cream, soft gray, or beige.
After that, try investing in the furniture with the same color shades as the interior to create a smooth flow. If you cannot find any, you can opt for the one in muted color because it will do in a pinch. You can also introduce a contrast like a vivid-colored cushion to spark a bit of interest and make your living room less dull.
- No 1: Apply the same colors to your walls and ceiling.
You can treat your ceiling by decorating it with a cornice or valance. You could also put up a decorative molding to give it an elegant look.
- No 2: Paint the floor and all furniture in one color
Paint your floor colors, and do the same with your furniture pieces such as sofa, chairs, coffee tables, and ottomans.
- No 3: Apply the same pattern to your floor and furniture
The best pattern to choose is one that matches your decor. If you can find some pillows, go with a pattern theme.
- No 4: Clear out clutter and make room for furniture
You can always throw away old stuff around your house every time you move. Once they are removed, it will create more space in your living room. You can also try removing unnecessary items from the shelves to create space for other things.
- No 5: Harmonize your furniture
Try using the same colors on tables and legs if you want to create uniformity. This way, they will all look matching.
- No 6: Paint your chairs and ottoman in the same colors
You can paint your chair legs with the same colors as well. You also have a choice to leave the bold patterns intact so they would complement your living room.
- No 7: Cut your area rug to avoid tripping over it
You can cut a small area rug to make it fit better in your living room. If you want, you could always place a chair or ottoman on top of the rug for some purpose.
- No 8: Keep things in places whenever possible
To keep everything neat, put them back into places whenever possible. You could also try using some baskets and shelves to organize your collection of books and accessories in one place.
8. Or You can Go for an Eclectic Style
If you think uniformity is somewhat dull, challenge yourself to mix and match the interior to carve out the eclectic style.
The eclectic style marries different elements and gets them to create harmony. It may not be easy because if you do not do it properly, your small living room will end up with a haphazard look.
Fortunately, there are always foolproof tricks to carve out this style.
- First, you need to combine furniture deriving from different types or eras. However, you have to do it meticulously. You can also achieve this goal by introducing high contrast.
This small living room, for example, offers an intriguing contrast by combining the golden leather ottomans with a pastel-blue tufted sofa. Thanks to a neutral color palette, they look good together as the perfect base for this interior.
- Second, you need to incorporate the touch of vintage style to round out the look. Do not overdo it, though. You will need to keep things simple at the same time.
In this living room, the chinoiserie wallpaper teaming up with the antique mirrors makes a great statement without overstating their presence or drowning the blue sofa.
- Finally, a unique coffee table with driftwood legs completes the eclectic style.
7. How to Get a Stylish Ottoman for Cheap
When updating your living room, purchasing new furniture may pop into your mind. Wait a minute! Why do you have to spend a lot of money if you can get a new piece of furniture for the cheap? Try turning your old coffee table into an ottoman.
- Begin with painting the legs of your coffee table white.
- Then, add wood around the bottom to match the top. It is optional, though. This step will depend on the shape of your coffee table.
- Then, drill holes in your tabletop if you want to add tufting.
- Next, cut your foam to length and attach it to the tabletop using spray adhesive glue.
- After that, wrap the foam around the sides, too.
- Next, cover the tabletop and foam with batting, and then use a staple gun to secure it in place.
- After that, add the fabric and secure it in place.
- Finally, add the buttons.
6. How to Turn an Old Dresser Into a TV Stand
- First, take out the drawers and support beams. You can also install a long wooden board in the bottom part of the dresser for additional support. Again, it is optional.
- After that, sand, prime, and paint the dresser.
- Next, cover the top of the TV stands with glass to protect it.
- Finally, install new drawer pulls and place some wicker baskets to organize stuff.
- Step 1: Begin with stripping the old dresser.
You can start by taking off the drawers, support beams, and drawer fronts. You can also use a drill to remove some of the sturdier pieces of wood that hold the drawers in place.
- Step 2: Sand and strip cabinet.
You can now take out all of your cabinet’s components. This means you can take off all the knobs, doors, handles, and hinges.
- Step 3: Paint your dresser a single color for better contrast. You can now paint the inside of your dresser a single color. This way, you will find it easier to get an attractive finish.
- Step 4: Apply an aged feel to the surface.
The best way to get a stylish TV stand is by applying a more aged look on the surfaces of your dresser. You can use products that give the wood an aged look, such as linseed oil and walnut oil, or you can try waxing it or glazing it.
- Step 5: Use nickel hardware for better results. Use the nicest and best-looking finishes for your TV stand. You can tie all of those in by applying nickel finish hardware to it. You need to take care not to overdo it, though. This will end up creating a cluttered look.
- Step 6: Decorate your whole furniture set with it.
Last but not least, decorate the whole furniture set with your new TV stand as if you are organizing everything in one convenient place.
5. A Perfect Camouflage Idea
Making everything flow into one being is the best trick for any small room, including a tiny living room. You can achieve this goal by investing in furniture with the same color as the interior.
Unfortunately, finding the best pieces of furniture that match the interior ideally is not that easy. If that is your problem, you can use the magic of paint.
This living room shows you that painting the bookcase the same colors as the wall is good. It enables the bookcase to camouflage to look like a part of the room. As a result, you have an unstoppable view inside your small living room.
4. Expand the Windows for More Natural Light
Nature light has always played an important role in every house. When the space is limited, it has become even more essential.
If you have a minute living room, make sure that it has plenty of light, preferably natural. You can try to expand your windows by installing them from the floor up to the ceiling to do this. And, of course, keeping the window treatment down to a minimum is your safe bet.
- No 1: Study your Window and then figure out how to fit it.
After you have made everything else in your living room work together, you can concentrate on expanding your Window and maximizing the natural light in your flat.
- No 2: Measure the Window before you buy anything.
- No 3: Purchase a kit and build the new structure. You need to make sure that your Window will remain intact and secure. That is why you need to purchase everything needed to make it happen. You need platforms, hardware kits, and other supplies before building anything.
- No 4: Install the new Window in place.
Once you have gathered everything, you can install all the replacement components in your windows.
You need to ensure that your old and new windows are truly secure. After that, you can enjoy the sunlight as it pours into your home.
To turn your windows into a new unit that absorbs more light, you also could install the glass and mirror combination.
This idea will give you the best opportunity to enjoy more natural light in your room.
For this, you should do the following:
- Measure the windows and then measure the same glass size on another sheet of glass. Cut it out, mirror side down, and spray adhesive to attach it to your Window’s surface.
- Put a bead of caulk around each edge of the glass pane, including the top and bottom. Allow some of it to get onto the surface surrounding your Window.
- Attach the rest of the glass to the window frame’s surface with some spray adhesive.
- Caulk all around the window frame’s perimeter.
- Remove anything unnecessary, including the seal between the glass and the frame’s surface.
- Use a putty knife to patch all areas that need it. After that, you can apply a coat of wax or paint over everything to protect it from rain and dirt.
- Create a curtain or drape with clothes pins, string, or any other material that you would like.
- Your windows are done!
Next, How to Install the Window Screen?
- Step 1: Measure and mark the outside of your Window, then mark it on the screen.
- Step 2: Remove the screen from the old Window, and remove any damaged or faded fabric.
- Step 3: Attach new screen to edges of the frame, including inner corners and all hooks.
- Step 4: Attach a new grid to the top of the frame. Secure your new screen with screws on the inside corners and all hooks.
- Step 5: Insert the drape over the top of the Window so that it is hanging over both sides.
- Step 6: Measure and mark the drape with a straight line, and attach a piece of screen to the top.
- Step 7: Cut off the excess screen, then cut it at an angle to attach it to the corner.
- Step 8: Attach a new grid sheet to the top of the frame.
Finish your window screen with spray adhesive.
3. Dark Colors? Why Not?
A good rule of thumb is that applying a neutral color palette is a top-notch choice. Does it mean you cannot use dark hues? Of course, not.
Using dark colors in a small living room is not recommended. However, applying dark colors can be a choice if the room gets plenty of light.
Still, you cannot overdo it. You still need to create balance so that your small living room does not look boxed in. Therefore, try painting the accent wall dark hues and applying paler shades on the other walls and furnishings.
2. Opt for Symmetry
Take your interior to the next level by creating symmetry. Imagine that your living room is cut in half. Then, use a sofa or love seat as the centerpiece that defines the symmetrical look.
You can place two identical mirrors and side tables on both sides of the sofa to create a symmetrical look. You can also place two matching armchairs to accentuate this style.
- You can get a more symmetrical interior by cleaning the space before the work begins.
- Install two mirrors at both ends of your sofa and place two identical side tables on both sides of the sofa to get an amazing look.
- Make Sure That Everything is concealed
When you have a large room, you can use everything it offers without much concern about whether it is hidden. However, it’s impossible when your living room is tiny because everything becomes visible, including wires and holes.
- Trick the view with your furniture.
If you have a small living room, you can produce a more symmetrical situation by using your sofa and two armchairs.
- Add More Natural Light
Use the light in your living room to your advantage by adding more windows or doors that give you access to natural light but do not expose any of them simultaneously.
- Show off your Living Room
You can create a more beautiful and homey look when the best furniture is used to complement the space. Use your sofa and an armchair to fill up your living room, and you can get a more cozy feel.
- Frame Your Decor with Accent Walls
You could frame your furniture or other elements with accent walls to create a more symmetrical feel in your living room.
- Use Mirrors to Merge Two Spaces
In other words, you need to create a loop where your living room and your dining room meet.
- Work on your Windows
By filling your living room with a sofa and a chair, you can make this space look bigger than its actual size by using the windows. This idea is not only applicable to small living rooms but also large ones.
Lastly, Number 1. Earn Elegance with Faux Marble Tables
Marble has never failed to bring in some sort of elegance to the space. Unfortunately, it may cost you an arm and a leg.
If you cannot afford the natural marble, you can always fake the look with this marble-like contact paper. You only need to get a coffee table or a side table. Cover the top with painter’s tape and apply gold spray paint to its legs to boost the elegant look.
Once the paint is dry, cover the sides of the tabletop with the contact paper. Then, cover the top. Use a credit card or anything to get rid of bubbles and other imperfections.
So, you know that tiny space cannot hinder you from being creative. Despite the limited budget, you can even have a cozy living room with these 10 small living room interior and furniture update ideas.
8. Homebnc.com, Blog.modsy.com
7. Amazinginteriordesign.com, Newlywedmcgees.blogspot.com