During this pandemic, we tend to stay at home most of the time. Fortunately, these days the restriction is not as strict as it used to be. Still, staying at home is probably the best way to spend the time when you have no urgent activity to do.
Somehow the problem is you might already be bored with your house circumstances. Therefore, you have something to do to release stress and blow off steam. Maybe creating nature in your house would be awesome.
You don’t need to have a big space for that because your small backyard will do. It is not necessarily pricey or time-consuming. Here are the 10 Small Garden and Backyard Styling Ideas that you can try this weekend. Go check them out!
10 Minimalist Backyard and Garden Ideas
10 Small Garden Transformations and Planter Updates
10 Cheap Ideas How to Build Backyard BBQ Area
10 Kitchen and Herb Garden Ideas
20+ Backyard and Garden Fencing Ideas
30 Clever DIY Ideas How to Landscape Backyard Garden
10. Downsizing The Furniture
If you dream about sitting in your backyard, enjoying the green view while having morning coffee or tea, you must pay attention to the furniture size. Choosing bulky furniture takes a lot of space. There will not be much amount of area for the plants. Plus, it overwhelms a small backyard.
You had better choose a see-through design that does not limit your eyesight. Furthermore, it helps the eye travel further. Also, when you decide to put a table, having a circular one is preferable. You don’t want sharp corners you might bump into, do you?
- Get Two parts: 1. With a wide board and a table saw, cut the four long pieces.
- Cut two shortboards at 8 inches and two shortboards at 11 inches as an end table and bookcase.
- Use the saw to make four long cuts at each of the necessary boards to give them the length to match the circle table you want to use.
- Use a circular saw to complete the cut. You can use a jigsaw when it is difficult to do it by yourself with the saw.
- Prepare the nails, screws, and wood glue.
- Center the circle on the bigger board you cut. Put nails along the edges of the circle, and then secure it to the board with wood glue.
- Put screws on the gaps between the boards, then drive them in to create a solid surface that can hold books or act as a side table.
- Repeat steps 4-7 for all components of your furniture set.
- Use sandpaper to smooth out rough spots or edges so that your plants or flowers can live without being harmed by sharp items around them.
- Move on to the steps you wish to do next.
There are lots of accessories that you can use for your beloved backyard. For instance, you can use curtains to bring a bit of privacy visually. You can also make a fanciful nook using a chair and a table. If it is a small space, using one more table will create an excellent space for plants and plants.
9. Enrich it with new Living Walls
Don’t leave your back-side wall empty. Turn it into a living wall. The basic idea comes from the vertical garden. But a living wall emphasizes the amount and the variety of plants you have.
To build it, you only need to make a trellis set to hang the plants and place the plants starting from the base up to the top of the wall. Don’t leave any space uncovered.
Building a living wall might make you feel more surrounded by nature. For example, if you want to feel like in the jungle, you can choose tropical plants combined with ferns and grasses and arrange them randomly. When all the plants have grown well, they will create such an atmosphere.
- Take out or cut out the frame you will use to hang the plants. Use the miter cut to create 90 degrees corners.
- Attach the top and bottom pieces of your trellis to the wall using screws and nails. Make sure that all your plants are hanging on it securely.
- Put your plants in a creative order for them to grow naturally into a jungle atmosphere. Put wide leaves at the base, taller leaves, and finally, flowers and fruits before sticking them on your wall with adhesive tape.
- After the plants grow well, you can move on to the next step.
You can always start with a small backyard and slowly turn it into a relaxing green area. A pond would be great, especially if designed in a small space. Right now, there are several kinds of small pond designs available:
- The most common one is an artificial pond made of plastic and has a fish or two swimming in it. Having this kind of pond will help you relax outdoors because the water will sparkle under your sunlight.
- You can also have a zero maintenance pool for your small garden or backyard, which means no chemicals are needed to keep it clean, and no pump is plugged in to keep the water circulating.
- Another type is an integrated pond that connects with streams or ponds. This idea will help your natural garden to grow together.
- The last one is a natural pond, which means no human interference occurred in the planning of this pond. So far, the only disadvantage for this type of pond is it requires a lot of maintenance to keep it clean and clear over time.
One minor additional idea,
Replace the Grass with Gravels or Rocks
For some people, planting grass seems to be nothing that cool or exciting. If you are one of them, replace grass with gravels or rocks instead! If you do this, there are many advantages: less maintenance needed, more space for other activities, and different places for your plants to grow on.
8. A New Succulent World for your secluded garden
It is possible to have a tiny backyard with various shapes of plants. You can try to create a world of succulents. Besides its variety in shapes, It is also well known for its little-medium sizes. So even your space is not big enough, you can still grow many types of succulents.
To create a colorful succulents world, you can plant mass amounts of succulents in shades of green, grey, gold, red, and mauve. Organize them as you wish. And another hack, if putting them on the land doesn’t enough for you, sticking them to your wall might also be worth trying.
- To build a succulent world, start with the tree trunks and branches as your center stage. You can use large branches or trunks or cut down thinner ones for this. Then paint them in different colors such as green, brown, and grey.
- The next step is putting soil and planting succulents on the tree trunks: locate your succulents first and start to stick them onto the tree trunk you have chosen. Try to select different shapes and colored plants that match together.
- If you want to drive away pests such as roaches away from your succulents, you might want to put some water next to it as cockroaches don’t like water much.
- After the succulents have grown well; you can move to the next step.
- Another excellent idea for a small-sized garden is a cluster of jasmines. One reason many people love those flowers is they bloom well even in hot and dry weather conditions. You can find these tiny flowers in different colors such as pink, white, yellow, and orange, like the one in the image that starts this article.
- You can also try planting other flowers such as lilies or roses since they grow pretty big and need much space to make them live properly.
7. A Vegetable Vertical Garden Idea from Soda Bottles
Gardening during the pandemic is a trend these days. Moreover, you can benefit from growing vegetables or your favorite herbs, like spinach, lettuce, water spinach, celery, spring onion, or anything. It can function as your living refrigerator as well. Don’t worry about your small space. You can make grow them vertically.
Upgrading your small space into a vertical vegetable garden possibly becomes a recycling project. Use your plastic bottle waste as the container of your plant. Then, cut them into two parts or one side of the bottle. Fill it with nutritious soil and insert the seeds. Then don’t forget to water them regularly.
- Take out the bottle cap and use it as your container for your plant.
- Use a cutter to cut the bottle into two-part.
One half of the bottom part will be used as your growing container while putting another one on top of it as its lid
- Fill the container with soil and plant the seeds according to how much space is available for them to grow.
- Place them in an area that gets lots of sunlight regularly, like near your back door or small balcony, since they need lots of sunlight for their fruits or vegetables to grow well. You can water them regularly to keep them fresh and healthy too!
- Another great idea is using a cut-up water bottle to make a mini water fountain for your tiny space or garden. You can also use net pots instead of plastic bottles since it is much better and more hygienic than the former.
6. The Rainbow Container Garden Idea
Anyway, it might seem easy to have such a rainbow container just because you can choose whatever type of color and shape. Please don’t underestimate it. Consider the size and pay more attention to the container’s materials. Some plants grow well in plastic containers, but others don’t.
Detailed Instruction for the idea:
- No 1. Pick a container, any color you like, as long as it is made of plastic.
- No 2. The next step is to prepare the soil for your plants: it needs enough moisture and nutrition, so choose potting soil instead of regular soil.
- No 3. The third step is choosing the plants: put different types and colors to make a colorful container garden.
- No 4. Keep the plants in a sunny area and water them regularly so they can grow well; conversely, don’t over-water them since that will lead to their death instead!
- No 5. The last step is to pick the total result and make it work.
Bonus: A Simple and Elegant Corner Tool Garden
If you don’t like using soil as your garden medium, you can use rocks as your container for your plant. Or you can put them together with small pebbles that you can find easily in your yard or garden, such as those that are used for pathways. Or those that came from old or well-maintained walls.
5. A Pallet Planter Idea
A pallet planter is another option for your small backyard. You can move it easily. Besides, it is DIY-friendly, which makes it an excellent choice if you are on a budget.
When you suddenly feel bored with your garden’s look, you can easily modify it. Move the pallet planter to the other side of your house, then create a new look garden.
Constructing a pallet planter won’t be hard. You can use an average or even low-quality wooden pallet. Arrange it like a rack and paint it if necessary.
Next, get some old tins, jars, and whatever else you can find and use them to plant your flowers and herbs. Also, add some hangers so that you can hang your plants.
- Use some old wood pallets to make a planter for your plants; it can be anything, as one with four pieces of wood or two.
- Arrange them however you like and make sure they are strong enough to support the plants you want to grow in the future.
- Next, get some old tins, jars, and whatever else you can find; decorate it with your favorite stickers or paint them any color you like!
- Hangers are very useful for small gardens, so attach them to the pallets’ facade to hang your plants easily.
- The last step is to plant your favorite flowers, like roses or other flower types that need much attention and care.
- Keep them in an area that gets plenty of sunlight, like your small backyard; water them regularly, and take good care of them properly!
Bonus: A Garden Using the Kitchen Sink’s Stand
If you want to save time while gardening, why don’t you try planting some vegetables or herbs in your kitchen sink instead? Use the kitchen sink’s stand for this kind of gardening. It might be weird at first sight. But once you start doing it, you’ll see how easy it is.
4. Complete it with a Tin bath pond
Buying a ceramic water bowl might be an expensive option for your favorite aquatic plants. In this case, you can consider replacing it with a tin bath. It is easily accessible, or perhaps you have the unused one. The shape is unique, so it makes your small garden more attractive.
- Take out the remaining water dish. Use a tin bath to make a new water bowl for your aquatic plants.
- Get your favorite aquatic plants and place them in the tin bath. Make sure they have enough air to breathe and receive enough sunlight. It is best to keep them under a small greenhouse as well as the plant food and some extra water for more nutrition.
- You can also add some decorative rocks or ornaments that you have found from your yard or garden into the tin bath to give more interest to it outside of this project’s purpose.
- Place it somewhere where it can get sunlight, preferably near a window, though.
- To make it work, you need to water your plants regularly. But make sure not to over-water it too much.
- Lastly, if you want, change the water bowl’s shape and form into something more artistic and appealing by adding bells or other small accessories to it.
- Bonus 1: A Tin Garden Idea
You can use tin cans for many purposes in your garden’s design because they look rustic and natural at the same time. It is ubiquitous for urban gardens around the world. They are not only practical but also appealing to look at. So using them might be a good idea, don’t you think?
- Bonus 2: A Tin Can Planter
What should you do if you have many pots or containers that don’t have flowers planted in them anymore, but they are still functional and in good condition? Why not upcycle those pots and create a small garden? It doesn’t take much effort to make a tin can planter. Here’s what to do.
3. A Tiered Garden Idea
If you are not into the vertical vegetable garden shown above, a DIY tiered garden could be your choice. For the materials, try wooden pallets and get creative.
There are so many types of wooden pallets. Pick one that will be the most suitable for your plants. Plus, make sure it meets your budget.
- To make a tiered garden, you need to find the most suitable type of wood pallet for your plants.
- Then make sure it has enough space to hold your plants and vegetables.
- If you want, you can paint it and decorate it with decals or ornaments like flowers and hearts to give more variety and creativity to your small garden’s design!
- Take the plants that grow well in small spaces; use them as your primary plants inside the tiered garden!
- Next, plant other types of plants inside each tier for even more interest.
- If you want, you can buy some colorful stones from your local store or from a local market to decorate your tiered garden and give it a more natural look.
- If you have a small child, make sure it is safe and supportive enough before placing him/her inside the tiered garden!
2. A Trellis Garden Idea
You might prefer to grow any climbing or trailing plants such as watermelon, cucumber, squash, butterfly pea, or any type of Leguminosae.
A trellis garden will be suitable for your small backyard. You can build the trellis two-dimensionally like a wall. Or three-dimensionally similar to an alley. There are many choices for the material, either bamboo, wood, and wire.
- For the materials, you can use any type of wood. But if you want to save more money on the project, choose the cheapest one.
- Now, get all the plants that grow well on trellises.
- You can put them on the wooden trellis as soon as they are all ready for planting. Or, even better, wait until it is fully grown and fertilized so it will be strong enough to support your chosen climbing or trailing plants at their full strength and height.
- If you want, you can put some flowers around your trellis garden to give it a more realistic look and feel!
- Lastly, make sure the trellis garden has enough space for other plants to grow well.
- Bonus 1: A Living Foam Garden
When you want to make a full-sized garden that is too small for your needs, try creating a living foam garden. You can use any materials like paper or similar items that you can find at your local store.
Assemble the materials and assemble them how you want them to be; then mold them into different shapes and sizes. Other sizes will give you more options when it comes to planting in this type of garden.
- Bonus 2. A Window Garden Idea
If you have a small house with spacious windows, you are good to start with window gardening. You can design your window garden any way you want it. For the material, there are many choices of materials to choose from. People consider wood, bamboo, and even plastic as the best for window gardens.
For the materials, choose what will suit your budget and what is most suitable for the plants you will grow in this type of garden. For example, if you want to plant tomatoes or other vegetables that need ample space like cucumbers, wood-like teak is good for you.
Lastly, Number 1. The Fairy Garden Idea
Your small garden would be perfect with the use of some lighting. Besides, you can create such fairy and dreamy vibes in your garden with it.
You can purchase any type of outdoor lamp. But if you prefer a DIY one, making a lighting jar can be one of your considerations.
It’s easy and not time-consuming. Reusing your honey jar, jam jar, or anything is one of the ways. Before using it, make sure you have cleaned it thoroughly. Next, get some candles, put them inside the jar. To make it stable, add some pebbles around the candle.
- Get empty jars of any size of your choice.
- Fill it with water and some dirt, then put the candle inside of it.
- Place it on your floor or table to light up your small backyard or garden!
- This will not only bring out the beauty of your garden but also create a place where you can relax and enjoy nature’s beauty!
- You need to find the right amount of light for your plants.
Bonus: A Candle Lamp Idea
Besides, you can design this little lamp in any way you want. It can be round or square with different designs, even multiple lights at the same time.
Here are a simple on how to make it yourself:
You need two jars, one bigger than the other.
You will need to get it ready for the outdoors if possible since you are using glass jars for this project.
To prepare, you must use vinegar to get rid of any excess water inside it so that flowers or plants will have good soil to grow in.
You can also use some cloves of garlic, marigold petals, and any other flowers you can find.
You must get ready so that your plants will have the best soil for them to grow in.
You must also get some candles or lanterns of your choice so that your little lamp will be full of light.
Finally, you need to fill it with water and dirt.
Then put any plant inside of it. It is important to note that the plant must not be very big or taller because it might damage or fall over while receiving too much weight on top of it.
Here are 10 Small Garden and Backyard Styling Ideas. Hopefully, it can inspire you to redecorate your small space into something more beautiful and pleasurable.