- Partition walls are a great way to maximize your square footage and make the most out of a small space.
- Partition walls are an easy way to make the most out of any small space, whether for an apartment or a rental property.
- A partition wall is a wall that you can use to segment off part of a larger room while still allowing the rest of the space to be used. Essentially, they act as movable walls and can easily be moved around to suit your needs. This idea can be very helpful in small spaces where you want some extra privacy from your neighbors or when you want to make the most out of a rental property and maximize the square footage for each tenant.
- Materials you can use to build your first partition is brick, but here we’re using a different type of brick called plasterboard. Plasterboard is made up of gypsum and cement, so if you’re looking for something that’s going to be cheap, easy to work with, and will have a long lifespan (especially when you look at the affordable costs of building materials these days), then plasterboard is the answer.
- In price per square foot, a partition wall will be cheaper than installing drywall. This idea is because drywall requires an all-inclusive cost for the initial installation, plus an additional cost for each sheet.
- A partition wall can also act as a divider between two rooms in your home or apartment or as a storage to organize your mess or wall arts.
- A partition wall is one of the most cost-effective ways to make the most out of a small space.
- Since a partition wall is movable, it’s also great for temporary spaces like rental properties.
- The design we’re using here is an accordion wall, where you can fold the walls together or open them up to create more room in your space.
The good thing about a rental house is that it is affordable, especially with the help of Chinneck Shaw Estate Agents. It can be a perfect solution for those who have just moved out.
Unfortunately, you cannot do many things with it, especially a home-improvement project that may leave permanent impacts, like building another wall for privacy.
Instead of building a new permanent wall, which can be pricey and your landlord will not like, you can try a room divider. It is a top-notch addition for those who have been longing for privacy.
If you’re looking for an idea to design your rental house, check out these 10 partition wall designs for rental and cheap. For more details, head on to Simphome.com.
10 Partition Wall designs for Rental and for Cheap Video:
10. Make a Good Deal
You can have a partition wall of standard quality with a good appearance at an average cost. If you’re skilled enough to make a better deal, you may have the chance to get a lower price for the same high-quality materials.
But sometimes, you want to build something that still looks good enough, even with a lower cost, without neglecting its sturdiness.
This partition, for example, is pretty simple yet functional. It runs from one wall to the opposite but does not reach the ceiling. It even has a glass window that allows you to see who is in the adjacent room.
Another fantastic thing is it features built-in shelves that you can use to display your books or knick-knacks. If you want to access the adjacent room, you can slide the door.
9. Know Your Budget
When you want to divide lots of rooms, the budget is one of the many considerations. The wider the spaces, the higher the cost. Therefore, choosing what materials to use is among the many steps you should weigh first.
There are bricks, wood, concrete wall, and many more. Those are some of the materials you can choose from.
Wooden sheets make an excellent partition wall as they are wide, lightweight, and reasonably priced, depending on what type of wood sheet you pick.
- Use the Glass Window
Using a glass window in your partition wall design is another great suggestion you may think of. It adds value to the wallpaper, but it also makes it easy to check and see who is in the adjacent room, which is an advantage if you are interested in having guests or if you want to get informed on whatever is happening in there.
The advantage of this kind of partition wall design comes with disadvantages like an extra cost and difficulty in installing the window within your rental house walls. The other issue is that when there’s no maintenance, this type of wall will be weaker than other designs and will later fly apart.
- Build It Yourself
Finally, you can also build it yourself. This action is one of the most affordable ways to get a nice-looking wall. You may need to invest some time into it, but once you get the hang of it, you will become good at constructing partition walls.
Also, with this method, you’ll only be limited by what your imagination can think of. And once you finish building it, you will have a private space all to yourself.
8. A Stunning Folding Partition Wall Idea
A folding partition wall is your next option for a cheap rental solution. It typically has more than two screens connected with hinges. It is lightweight so that you can move it easily to another room.
This partition may not give you a lot of privacy. Still, it will embellish the space in no time. You can use unused doors or fabric screens connected with hinges if you want something to block the view.
But you can leave it the way it is if it doesn’t bother you since you may live with your partner who doesn’t really ask for boundary setting or privacy.
- Step 1: To make this partition, measure the room’s width you want to partition.
- Step 2: Use a square and draw a very accurate rectangle.
- Step 3: Tape the wall with edging tape. Extend your tape on all three sides, as shown in the following illustration. Press hard so that it sticks well even on both sides of the wall
- Step 4: Wrap your first screen panel around your drawing rectangle to make a big frame, then stick an adhesive back sheet on top of it
- Step 5: After you have stuck the back sheet, press hard so that it would stick well onto both sides of the panel and onto itself.
- Step 6: Cut panels from the fabric of your choice. If you want to hang them on a rod, measure their width and divide by 2. Measure the space in which the rod should be placed. Cut about 1″ space between the panels for the rod to be hung on it.
7. A Multicolored Partition Wall Idea
This partition wall is similar to the idea above. It is different because it has wheels, meaning you can move it more easily, although it may cause some noises when you pull it.
This unique partition wall combines three doors with different colors that distinguish it from other doors or walls.
When you decide to have the same partition wall idea, make sure that the wheels work properly. Otherwise, it would be a problem when opening or closing it. Give the wheels the proper maintenance to make them function right.
- Step 1: Take the tapes and colored bricks and place the bricks. As you put it, make sure to fix them correctly. You can find detailed instructions here.
- Step 2: Place the tape on the walls or wherever you want them to be placed. Then, use a ruler to measure your space and mark where you want to place your partitions.
- Step 3: Use small pieces of tape in between each brick so it will not fall off easily.
- Step 4: Now, take some glue and attach each brick in one direction. Make sure that you are always facing the same direction as before, or it may look messy when putting it together later on.
- Step 5: Use some silicone or glue to fix the bricks. You can use all three colors of the tape to give it a nice look and make it more interesting.
- Step 6: Attach the wheels to the wall to easily move them around your house.
- Step 7: Now, take some paint and put some stripes on each brick to have a nice effect when looking at your partitions from different angles.
- Step 8: Use painter’s putty and glue to fix anything that might fall off, such as handles or doors. You can use your favorite color of stain for decoration purposes.
- Step 9: Finally, attach handles for easier transportation and the doors.
6. Let Natural Light Come in
With bamboo, you could make a similar wall partition if you can find the material in your local area. You can design the patterns and the size of each screen.
But with wrought iron, you may have to purchase from stores or order them from those who produce them unless you know how to make one.
- Observe your surroundings: the location of the windows, the types of plants you have in your home, how light and bright your master bedroom is, etc.
- Consider how big you would want the screen to be.
- Decide on whether to use glass between each screen.
- Determine if you want your screens to be decorative and colorful or simple and neutral.
- Note where you want to place the screens showing privacy?
- Note if there is a safety issue for your children so that they have a safe place to get out of their bedroom when they sleep, watch TV or play with their toys at night time?
- Note where you want to keep the door to the master bedroom to have quick access if there is an emergency, such as a fire.
- Consider where you would like to place a new window, your doors, and your door frame in between if there are any.
- Consider your house’s location and natural light condition during different seasons of the year to design your screen accordingly.
- Determine other factors of importance, such as security or privacy issues for one or more people in the house, which may need some partitions to be installed in another part of the home instead of only one master bedroom.
5. Use a See-Through Panel
This see-through panel should be everyone’s favorite. It’s easy to install, and it comes at an affordable price. Of course, if you look at stores, the price might surprise you. But you can make a DIY version, right?
You can measure and cut pieces of wood. Assemble the cuts and screw. Install the hinges and secure them.
Next, put the glasses on each of the frames and secure them. As they have the same design and size, it would ease your work to cut or get the glasses.
If you think glass panels are not practical for this DIY project, you can use another see-through material such as acrylic that’s lightweight.
- Step 1: Find plywood to cut.
- Step 2: Assemble the cuts. Use a right angle or square to make it straight.
- Step 3: Install the hinges and secure them with nails or screws.
- Step 4: Install the glass panels in place. Ensure they’re not wobbly and secured properly with a few nails or screws. That’s it! You have your DIY partition wall!
NOTE: If you want to make this project more interesting, you can design something different on each side of this wall or paint them in different colors.
4. A Beautiful Wooden Partition Wall Design Idea
This partition would be perfect for a corner. Even if it’s not, this idea is still really cool and worth trying.
This cool partition needs a careful execution as you have to adjust it one by one. You can first draw a line to create a perfect semi-circle before securing each board. You should also be aware of arranging the panels not too wide. Otherwise, kids can enter between the gaps and get stuck.
If you want to cover it a little, you may put something in the middle of the partition. Give a sheet and follows the curve. That should make it less exposed.
3. Ikea IVAR Rental Hack
This idea comes from an IKEA hack, using IVAR for separating the room. It had been a pale frame before it got stained with a dark color.
Firstly, assemble the frame and join them with screws. Secondly, put the wallpaper you choose for it with double-sided tape. Then, install the IVAR post to the ceiling. Next, attach the frame to the post and wall and secure it.
Use hooks and attach them to the ceiling, and that’s it!
1 IKEA ELVARLI anchor post
5 IKEA IVAR side
2 sets of hook and eye screws
1m long heavy-duty Velcro tape
12 wood screw (7cm long)
Wallpaper and stain
2. The Bamboo Curtains
This environmentally-friendly divider is lightweight, functional, and pretty. Bamboo is indeed a versatile material that nature provides for you. You can turn it into almost anything related to furniture.
Here it works as a curtain that divides the room. It makes an excellent partition wall, and it’s known for its budget-friendly cost, not to mention its durability. As a result, bamboo has been prevalent throughout time.
You can attach the rod to a ceiling or wall and hang the curtain or bamboo divider. You can also fasten the bottom part for peace of mind.
Step 1: Collect some bamboo and then strip it away to expose the fibers.
Step 2: Cut the bamboo to the length you need and sand it.
Step 3: Arrange the bamboo vertically or horizontally, following your design and securing it.
Step 4: Sand them again with rough sandpaper.
Then, to turn your bamboo into a new divider, your directions are:
Step 1: Cut the bamboo to your length.
Step 2: Sand the bamboo with rough sandpaper.
Step 3: Roll up the bamboo and attach them to the wall or ceiling. You can also secure them with nails or screws if you like. Don’t forget to measure before you start!
Step 4: Secure them tightly at each end of the curtains by nailing, screwing, or wrapping tape around them.
Lastly, Number 1. Bring the Beach Vibes
The last picture has the kind of coastal vibes. It looks pretty when combined with a white color scheme.
The partition wall has slightly crooked woods or branches that come at the same hue as the ceiling.
That would be great if you could find the same wood used here. If you don’t, you can try to use bamboo as a replacement. Then, you can wrap it with toilet paper, glue it, and spray paint it.
So to complete your Partition Wall designs for Rental and Cheap, you need to combine your creativity, patience, and knowledge from the different designs discussed above. As mentioned in the article, you should use each design for its purpose and position.
For the material, you should think about the price. You need to find the materials you can afford and use in your project. The idea is:
There are many types of particleboards, doors, and windows; you can choose according to your desires. As we know that particleboard is quite inexpensive, but how well does it look when you apply some design concepts to it? Although the particleboard material costs less, you need to use it in an artsy way. If you are interested in its creativity, make yourself a partition wall. When you wonder about the thickness of different particle boards before applying the idea, you should look at each material’s pictures and the details to compare the thickness.
The wood is not difficult to apply, but it is a little expensive for this idea. If you have less budget, you should choose IKEA’s IVAR wooden railing or other wooden materials with simple density. Some of them are cheap enough, especially when you use thin boards. The best way to use them as partition walls is by hanging them on the walls and ceiling like a curtain or wall partition to divide rooms. You will never want to buy new wooden materials for your partition walls again because they can save your money for better things in your life that would make you comfortable and happy.
- The cheap idea to build your rental wall is by using something you already have, like a curtain or a wall hanging, and sticking it on a partition wall.
- The porous materials such as plastic or cardboard are not bad for making your partition walls. You can use them with screw decorative pieces to create partitions in your home.
- Some of you may use unique DIY ideas to save you a lot of money. Some of them would cost you nothing to make. These ideas include using paper, cardboard, and even plastic. The great thing about this idea is that you can use different materials to make your partition walls look amazing.
- You can also use “Wallace paint,” more artistic than most colors, to give a creative twist and cheap partition wall experience for your rental place.
- If you want to save money on your partition wall ideas, you can bring a piece of the beach to your walls with beach wallpaper borders.
- Another idea is to use old furniture pieces and mirrors that have been damaged in the past. You could get covers for them and use them as decoration ideas for the different walls.
- If you are looking for partition walls with mirrors, you can choose mirrors with different colors or shapes, making your home look more impressive by creating a modern look.
- For decorating your partitions, wooden lines and feature walls with wallpaper borders can be interesting, especially if you have a spot where glass is not allowed, like a family room, living room, etc.
- In some cases, your rental premises need to reflect the kind of time it was built by adding glass roof panels.
- The last idea is to craft a simple and easy DIY partition wall in an old room you do not use. To give it an artsy touch, you can add some accent colors or some other creative elements that will make the rooms more interesting if you combine different decorating ideas in each room.
What do you think of our 10 partition wall designs for rental and cheap? After reading this article, I bet you already know how to decorate your house with inexpensive materials and simple tricks.