- Update the curtains.
- Add new bedding set to coordinate with your existing bedding.
- Add some personalization items like pillows, throws, and accent pieces.
- Update your furniture by replacing the dresser with a new chest of drawers.
- If you want to change your style, one of the low-cost tricks is to add green or neutral colors
- Add a new throw blanket to the room in light colors or patterns that coordinate with your existing drapes.
- Changing a wall color and painting a unique accent wall can be expensive. But by updating just one or two items in your bedroom with paint or other art, you can do it yourself for less than $20
- Change your Pillowcase
Don’t underestimate the power of a change in pillowcases! Swap out that old, stained, or too-small pillowcase for a fresh one that will elevate your bedding to another level. From patterned to solid colors, all sorts of styles await you at your nearest retailer.
- Update your lighting.
Go through your room and take inventory of the items in there. You can find many great options for inexpensive updates to all of these different rooms: Bedroom, Living Room, Family Room, Kitchen Small Space, Bathroom & Shower.
Summary: Updating just one item in your bedroom can be a low-cost way to update the look of your room without changing the whole thing. In many cases, you can paint over the existing walls in just minutes, and the small piece of art on the walls will add color and style.
How can I freshen up my small bedroom?
The first step in updating your small bedroom space is simply observing your current room setup. Take some time to study each item regarding its function (its purpose).
Your choice is as follows:
- No 1. Start with observing your current bedroom setup and get to know your budget.
- No 2. Do a little research about small bedroom sets on the internet and find what you like. The information is great, but make sure you check out the fitment details before buying!
- No 3. Buy a new small bedroom set from Target, Walmart, or Bed Bath & Beyond for a reasonable price (under $1000).
- No 4. Buy pillowcases if your existing pillows are old and stained or don’t match your existing curtains/drapes: with cheap pillowcases, it’s easier to change the whole look of the bedding depending on what type of new color or texture you want to use in your room, etc.
- No 5. Buy pillows from the internet and print your pillowcases. Look for an out-of-print studio print or a throw pillow with the same fabric printed on it.
- No 6. Buy bedding sets (bed sheets, quilts, etc.) and create your bedding look using your current curtains, pillows, and other household items (throw blankets).
- No 7. You can start to consider DIYing your small bedroom by painting (or even a super simple decorating trick: stenciling on one wall or a throw pillow) and adding an accent wall in a color that will coordinate with your bedroom.
- No 8. You can update your bedroom by doing a ‘minimalist’ update by focusing on the items you want to keep but getting new things for the rest of the room. You’ll use as few things as possible in the new space to create color, texture, and pattern rather than expensive patterns that you will have to match (think chandelier and wallpaper).
- No 9. Add some unique art pieces like baskets, vases, frames.
- No 10. You can try many simple transformation projects, such as painting the room or subtly adopting a different color palette.
If not these options, you can consider doing a quick but inexpensive bedroom makeover.
These are some ideas you can consider:
- Replace your light fixtures and/or wall sconces with new looks for dramatic lighting effects (depending on the amount of light in the room). Consider using natural lighting with inexpensive bulbs that don’t require much power, like CFLs or LEDs, to utilize less home energy consumption over time.
- Updating the mirror by buying a new one, painting it with a new color, or replacing it entirely.
- Consider changing or adding new bedding like toss pillows, bedsheets, and maybe even a quilt (but keep in mind your budget to make sure it’s reasonable) and make your bedroom look cleaner and more polished in the process.
- Update the furniture in your room by adding new dressers/ chests or replacing old ones with one of the cheaper options such as Ikea’s available products: Krone or Hemnes.
- Add personal items like letters, photos of loved ones, and artwork to remind you of important things.
Your bedroom can be a wonderful place for you to relax and unwind or a place that can be too small and cluttered for your comfort (especially if you live in a small apartment). Regardless of your budget, you can update your small bedroom space to add color, personal style, and an upgraded look for a low cost!
There is always a time when you are no longer satisfied with the look of your bedroom anymore. Perhaps, you want to follow the trend, but you just do not know what to begin with and which one will suit you well.
Whatever your reasons are, there are always ways to update your bedroom despite the limited budget. Yes! It is your lucky day because we will share these 10 low-cost updates to refresh the bedroom.
Even without spending much time and money, you can transfer your outdated space into a fresh one by making over some parts of it. Have a quick peek at the following ideas. As usual, Simphome presents you with the list.
10. Add A New Artwork
One of the most plausible tricks to refresh the bedroom at a low cost is adding simple artwork. This may be very pricey in most cases, but you can professionally and legally get it for cheap. It means being creative is the best way to cover the budget-friendly bedroom refreshment.
Some people visit Etsy or Redbubble, which provides excellent printable options, while other people can make a basic painting you see on the dressing table in the picture above.
Besides, the artwork is not always about painting. Your epic photograph or paper flower can also work like a charm.
Relevant to the artwork, you can also consider using old home decorations such as mirrors, paintings, and cork wallpapers.
Note: When buying furniture to offset the cost of the artwork, it is highly recommended that you do not go for cheap products which are made from cheap materials. We do not recommend this as the idea would cause your painting to deteriorate sooner or later. We only advise spending more in the area of charm, art, and other study modes of architecture-related pieces of stuff.
9. Experiment with a new style and adapt it
Restyle offers the biggest budget saver. Look at your bedroom and find an idea of what to makeover. You could always clear every surface on the dresser, bench, or nightstand. Then, shop around your house to find some suitable accessories fitting the restyling ideas.
After that, go ask yourself about what you love, what you want to display, and how they work together. Create your pieces from your new collection of items, pack away anything that is no longer working and get ready to have your bedroom refreshed with a newly styled space.
Several new styles you can consider to refresh the look of your tired bedroom interior is:
- No 1. Go for a gallery wall.
In a word, this is inspired by the minimalist spaces we often see in magazines. The basic idea behind this style is to stick your favorite photographs on the wall or hang them from a thread. You can even take it further by displaying several furniture items at once. This way, you will create an interesting focal point and encourage a sense of flow and warmth.
- No 2. If you want to produce an eclectic room with oriental character, drape your windows with stunning pieces of silk/satin fabric and pair them with vintage lace doilies, perhaps toss in some bright colors for added effect (carpet, cushions, or pillows).
- No 3. You can use your patterned print to spruce up your bedroom. You can pair it with simple white furniture and netting drapes.
- No 4. Light the candles, get cozy, and enjoy! Nothing can make you feel more relaxed than luxurious bedding set with accents of velvet, satin, or silk sheets, plush pillows with Egyptian cotton linings, exotic throws as well as some luxury candle holders for extra ambiance.
- No 5. Shadow boxes are another inexpensive way of transforming your bedroom into an inviting spot for relaxation and romance during the evening hours from dusk till dawn. These boxes are available in numerous sizes and shapes (including round or square).
- No 6. Artful mirrors.
Nothing can make your bedroom look classier than sleek and stylish mirrors. You can hang them on the wall or place them on a dresser for an extra touch of elegance.
Plus, you might consider covering your old boring walls with unique wallpaper or going for a bold paint color to refresh the look and feel of your bedroom.
- No 7. Makeover the ceiling spotlight
There is nothing to worry about if you have a small home because making over the ceiling light is an easy way to refresh the space without spending too much cash.
- No 8. Choose a new natural custom color
If you want to make your bedroom an oasis of calm and relaxation, then adding a new custom color is the way to go. You can always paint your walls with this scheme. If you do not like the idea, pick up some accessories in shades of the same color scheme. For example, you can include this scheme in curtains, window dressings, and fabrics.
- No 9. New Bed Linen
For an instant update of natural glamour in your bedroom, then invest in new bed linen for a sleek look without any disruptions or breakages to your budget. Adding luxury bedding sets will help you achieve this goal without disturbing your budget at all.
- No 10. Never forget the storage
One of the biggest reasons people love having their bedroom is that they can store things they want to keep yet not in use. This means not to clutter your space; you need to make sure that you have sufficient storage that enables you to keep your bedroom organized and clutter-free. It would be best to look for storage solutions that offer a lot of empty spaces where you can tuck away all those gadgets, bookshelves, and lots of other small items.
8. Introduce New Color Scheme
Believe it or not, painting is the most low-cost idea to refresh a bedroom. When something bold is not an option, repainting can transfer your walls into a fresh and new look. The space will feel brighter and cleaner even if you do not change the color.
To play with the color, try the soft and subtle vibes of the room. You can also go bold with deep teal that is now on-trend. Further, the dark hues like charcoal greys and navy blues are just lovely to work out your super cheap idea.
7. Curate Your Nightstands
Curating the nightstand is an idea that can be totally free because you just need to hunt for pieces to style it.
Mugs and half-used eye cream may have conquered your nightstand. Clear the space on the table and add a cute lamp along with a pile of books you want to read. A fresh flower or a house plant will also make the room looks different.
Other ideas you can select to refresh your nightstands are:
1. Arrange books and decorate your nightstand bookcase.
2. Display some photos or something you want to display on the nightstand
3. Use your nightstands as platforms for plants, vases, candles, or other small objects you love
4. Add a few water plants in a vase so you can splash out some life and green into the room
5. Use colorful accessories to make it look cheerful
For those aiming for a sleek and modern look, choosing black furniture is usually the best way of achieving this goal. This idea is not only trendy but also affordable and highly functional.
A Relevant idea:
Simply Add Storage
Yes, you heard it right. You do not need to buy expensive storage equipment to have an organized and clutter-free bedroom. If you want to store extra things, then you need to follow the simple steps below:
- Decorate a simple wooden box with primary colors using clothes or fabric drapes for interior decoration. You can go for soft steel colors such as blue or silver hues to make it look more contemporary.
- Then put all your items into the box and put a lid on to entirely close. You can also use a small wardrobe with enough shelves and hangers to keep your clothes in order.
- Another way of adding storage is by hanging some clear bins on the wall to create more space.
Make sure you choose a bin design that ideally matches the overall décor theme or color.
- You can also go for a combination of all your favorite colors to create an eye-catching look in this area, especially if you are aiming to replicate bold looks.
- You can easily accomplish bold looks in small bedrooms by adding solid colors, such as turquoise blue or bubblegum pink, and painting them on your walls.
6. Update The Drapes
Start by switching out the window treatments for something that will add a new look to your space. Choose the soft and linen-like fabric drapes. Choose the light colors, especially if your room requires more natural light.
Hang the drapes and blinds from the ceiling to the floor for an elegant feel and expensive look. This will add some height.
5. Try a new DIY to treat your Head Board
Are you a DIYer? If so, then refreshing a bedroom with a low-cost update is just a piece of cake. Play with your creativity to carry out a budget-friendly project, challenging your skill to create a headboard.
Do it by covering the chipboard with wooden boards. Optionally, you can just paint or add a section of wallpaper. Another way, hanging a rug above your bed can be a great idea, too.
You can also play with the size of your pillows to add a modern and chic look to the room.
When that treatment is not enough, you can consider adding Colorful Accents.
Color is the language of a sensual bedroom. It is the art of speaking a thousand words that can do wonders in any space, including your bedroom.
People still think that color is something you need to avoid in your home interior design because it will disturb the bedroom’s overall look. But this is not true!
Using one or two accent colors can immediately refresh your bedroom without being overwhelming at all due to its lightness and naturalness.
4. Invest in A Large Area Rug
Another idea to refresh a bedroom without costing you a fortune is simply adding a large area rug. A rug can cover a number of sins, such as stained carpet, tired-looking wooden floor, or even discolored vinyl.
Yes, rug over the floor. If you have some pieces of furniture, move their legs a bit. A bedroom with a rug will look good if most furniture sits on top of it.
Another benefit that an area rug can provide is making the space look bigger. You can also lay a smaller rug on either side of the bed to add extra texture and comfort.
3. Alter your Bedroom Textural Element
Styling a bedroom is not just about changing colors and introducing new patterns to the space. Indeed, they can spruce it up instantly. Still, you need to enrich the textural elements, too.
Adding textural elements can be as simple as laying a fury throw over the bedding in the winter and cotton in the summer. The texture is always appropriate for any different taste for bedroom updates.
If you fancy traditional style, you should go for hand-tufted rugs, woven wools, cut crystal, tooled silver, silk, china, gilded frames, and polished wood.
If you like country style, shop the braided rugs, rusted metals, worn woods, chenille spreads, blown glass, and ticks, as well as ironstone pottery.
You can also carve out a romantic style by displaying velvet and furry throws, painted furniture, crystal prisms, and hand-hooked rugs.
On the other hand, you could select a piece of laminated-plywood furniture and terrazzo flooring along with the smooth leather and stainless steel for modern style.
2. Apply New Transformation to Your Bedding
Essentially, the bed is the centerpiece of your bedroom. Thus, if you want to bring something new to your space design, just change the bedding. Start the idea from a comfortable hygge-inspired bed featuring layers of big blankets to the cheerful pops of color and textures. Fit them all with your bedroom design to get the best result.
Other mixed and matching you can try such as:
- No 1. Use a new duvet cover meant for your existing bed
Look through your current sets to see what you have. Select a duvet cover that fits with the color theme of your bedroom.
Choose one in bright, contrasting colors so that it pops out against the rest of the room.
Also, pick a duvet cover that is both comfortable and trendy, as you know how much you will care about it on those cold winter nights.
- No 2. Add one to two decorative pillows to complement your existing bedding
There are countless decorative pillows available — from vintage-style animal prints to abstract shapes and geometric patterns. Nowadays, you can find them in every size and shape you want. So, if you want a pop of color, print, or fun design for your bedroom, add decorative pillows to the existing bedding.
If you are not really into adding new items to your room, a duvet cover and throw pillows will be enough.
- No 3. Go for Colorful and Bright Pillowcases
If you want to be more creative than adding a new duvet cover and throw pillows, you can try colorful pillowcases and duvet covers.
You can also use decorative pillow inserts to add a pop of color to the bedroom through your existing bedding.
- No 4. Supplement your bedroom interior with New Pillows
Going out and purchasing new pillows is one of the best ways to give your bedroom a trendy look. But before you do that, it is essential to know what type of pillow would fit your needs.
There are many different types of pillows available, so you should take some time to decide which kind you would want and match them with your bedroom design.
You can also choose the right size of cushion for the bed and the comfort it has on the skin for any bedding style.
Lastly, Number 1. A New Window Treatments Could mean a long way
Refreshing a bedroom is sometimes as easy as updating the window treatments. Furthermore, the available options are almost endless, allowing you not to run out of ideas.
You can surely start updating window treatments by selecting sheer curtains to get more sunlight or replacing vertical blinds with roman ones.
You can switch out the curtains, blinds, or both simultaneously to give your room an instant update in style. One thing, consider the shape of your window since curtains or blinds should fit perfectly into it.
When possible, you can also Freshen Up Your Bedroom with a New Bed Frame.
A new and trendy bed frame can do wonders to any space because it can directly change your room’s look, feel, and interior style you have been dreaming of for so long.
How to refresh a boring rental bedroom without damaging it?
A rental bedroom comes with its limitations; that’s why before you consider any project, you better talk to your landlord and then check the lease agreement.
Here are some tips that can help you refresh your rental bedroom without damaging it.
- Look at your budget first, because you don’t want to spend too much money on a temporary project: think what’s the worst thing that can happen when you are making a change in your bedroom – the landlord might not agree with your move and rent is due in two weeks!
- Consider the overhead on your new project: how much do you need to paint the whole room and window frames? Do you want to buy a new bed, mirror or window shades? If so – what new present for your bedroom will it be?
- Decide on the color scheme for your bedroom: does it make sense for you to change all of these items in your small-bedroom decor? Here are some ideas of color combinations that can enhance an overall look in a small room:
* Neutral – grey/white
* Alternating black and white
* Red/orange/yellow (applied light)
* All colors, as mentioned above, are applied in one accent wall.
- Get up on the ceiling and look at all the fixtures: doors, light fixtures, towel bars, etc. Are they in good condition or need some upkeep? You can always buy new ones if your old ones are damaged or broken.
- Think about your bed: how comfortable is it? How old and how much does it cost? Is there anything special about it that you want to keep in your new project, like a colorful blanket, for example?
- Look at your wall colors. Are they too dark or light, and how can you improve them?
- Think about all of your belongings: what can you keep and what should you take with you when you move to a new room? Maybe you want to place all of your items in a separate part of the bedroom that is more noticeable than the rest.
- Before you consider making any permanent changes, make sure that all of your belongings are packed away and not on the floor at night (it’s better to put away everything in bulk). You don’t want accidents!
- Don’t rush with your project: think about these questions first and make sure that this is what you want to do; you never know if the landlord will be happy with your move.
- Consider using wallpaper in your bedroom to modernize and refresh the whole space.
- The key to a successful decorating project that can fit all rental conditions is organizing things before making a move. You’ll have less stress and more time to enjoy yourself in the new room altogether!
- Be creative and always think about your budget before making any changes to your bedroom.
- Get inspired by these quick, cheap, and easy decorating ideas:
Not all of these ideas will work for you, but they can inspire you to create a unique décor that shows who you are.
How do you refresh a room on a budget?
The answer will depend on your needs and desires.
If you don’t need to buy new furniture, you can consider adding to the existing furniture by buying a new bedspread, matching lampshades, and even a new duvet cover.
You can also create the effect of mirrored walls by placing narrow wooden shelves around the space being careful not to block doors or windows. You can use these shelves to add some items that you like and make an artful display of things that may have special meaning.
Here are some other affordable ideas:
- Brighten up your room with some colorful and patterned pillows on the bed; they will add personality and life to your room quickly.
- If you have a corner that could use an extra accent, try using a vase of flowers on your nightstand or a candleholder to hold your matches or candles.
- If you have a small window, consider adding an inexpensive curtain with fun and playful patterns.
- Most people won’t notice if one of their windows is broken or their blinds need cleaning and oiling, so this can be kept as part of the decor without affecting the rental contract.
- Add inexpensive throw pillows to give your seating area a more personal feeling if you haven’t tried it already.
- A rug can be a nice touch; it adds texture and color to the room and your living space.
- You don’t have to spend a lot of money on your bedroom; you can make your curtains with some window treatments that you find at the thrift store or a garage sale, but do your research first to make sure that you are using materials that will be safe for the environment. You can also find some window shades at home improvement stores.
- You don’t have to buy new furniture if you either have an old bed or if it’s still in good condition; donate it through your local organization or sell it on Craigslist or eBay.
How to use furniture to update a bedroom look?
The answer will depend on how you feel about the current furniture that you have if it’s changing to something else or not.
You will see that you can refresh your bedroom look by just changing the bedding or adding an accent piece like a new headboard, some new pillows, or even a rug.
If you decide to change your furniture for your bedroom, you will need to be more careful since this needs more time and money. If you are planning to use wood stain, try using it on smaller pieces of furniture until you are sure of how the color change will work out. There are classic colors that will always look good in a bedroom, so remember to choose neutrals and light colors.
You can make this yourself for a headboard since it is not as expensive as if you had bought it from a store.
How do you refresh a small bedroom wall without damaging it or costing a large transformation budget?
You can consider the following ideas:
- No 1. You can refresh the look of your wall by adding some color; this is a simple and inexpensive way to do it. You can just paint it yourself, but consider hiring a professional painter if you are unsure about your abilities or don’t have much time to do this.
This option requires more money but will save you valuable time.
- No 2. You can change your wall by either painting or hanging some artwork on the wall; it doesn’t need to be anything fancy or expensive but just something that will suit your taste and personality.
- No 3. You can change your wall by adding a new piece of artwork. You can use an old frame to display something in your room or have it professionally done.
- No 4. You can add a mirror to your wall to give it some dimension and make the space look larger; you will need to find one that matches the color of your room. All mirrors should be installed on the wall in the same direction as all other pieces of furniture so that they don’t go unnoticed.
- No 5. You can fill empty spots with landscapes, photos, or even paintings if you like to be artistic, and there is enough space on the wall.
- No 6. You can change the colors of your room by using lighter colors instead of dark ones.
- No 7. You can rearrange some of your pieces of furniture to give the wall more character; this is a good way to refresh your room on a small budget.
- No 8. You can hang a scarf or sheet on the wall; it will not cost much and make the wall look like artwork.
- No 9. You can use stands to hold your photos rather than having them displayed on the wall; they will make your house appear more homey and colorful at the same time! You can opt for black or white walls since they won’t take up too much space or get in the way.
- No 10. You can add a unique piece of art with a pattern or shape. You can buy one at an affordable price, and it will look great on your wall.
- No 11. You can use several small pieces of artwork in different places but try to follow this rule: always keep your art centered; you don’t want to see the space on the wall!
- No 12. You can add a large piece of artwork from an affordable artwork store, and it will look great; you will need to place it correctly so that it doesn’t look crooked or out of place.
- No 13. You can add a mirror or two on the wall; you don’t have to place them in the same direction as all other pieces of furniture.
- No 14. You can hang a large, thick curtain on your wall but make sure that it doesn’t cover up any pieces of furniture or windows.
Remember, all of these ideas will give you a new look and an upgraded feel to your small bedroom, so be creative and try them out!
There are plenty of options to freshen up your bedroom. From the one that will cost you nothing to a little more than you can afford, you are sure to find fantastic bedroom transformation ideas, including new window treatment. And with their Best night’s sleep in days, anything seems possible. All in all, ideas are always available wherever and whenever you need them. These ten low-cost updates to refresh the bedroom ideas are your starting point, and with that being said, we are happy to tell you that you have reached the end.