- Ripping out the kitchen for new transformation is costly; that’s why it’s important to consider renovations that don’t require such a drastic change.
- You can update your kitchen look, functionality, and style using the minimum amount of work required, which means minimal hassle. Cost-effectiveness is one consideration you should consider when thinking about updating your kitchen.
- Consider opting for less-expensive options first and start with quick solutions like painting, replacing old light fixtures and cabinet hardware, etc. Then move on to bigger investments like reupholstering furniture and remodeling the appliances.
- You can transform your room without spending a lot of money by choosing modern and stylish furniture. For example, if you want to bring a little bit of glamour into your kitchen, go for white renovated cabinets with antique knobs and hardware instead of plain oak.
- The benefits of updating the look of your kitchen include making your kitchen more functional and inviting. For example, you can easily expand the length of a working kitchen island by adding two new cabinets.
The cost savings you’ll experience when updating the look of your kitchen means there’s no reason to spend huge amounts of money to bring your kitchen up to date. You don’t have to completely rework the hardware and layout of your kitchen to update it. All you need is a little imagination and a little planning, and before you know it, you’ll have a new look that works at keeping your kitchen up-to-date while still maintaining its original style.
It is hard to deny that kitchen has become one of the focal parts in any home. Moreover, during the early pandemic, we mostly stayed at home.
We spent more time in the kitchen, cooking almost all daily food consumption since the open restaurant was so limited and likely to offer a much higher price.
Somehow spending more time in the kitchen might be mundane. You are also tired of the repeating activity called cooking. Or, you are just sick of staring at the same look in the kitchen every day.
Whatever your problem is, updating your kitchen appearance can be an excellent solution. However, you might then start to overthink the amount of energy and money you should spend to overhaul your kitchen.
No need to worry. Here are 10 ideas on how to update a kitchen without ripping it out. The ideas are mostly easy and low-cost to do. As always, Simphome presents you with the list.
10. Modify the lighting
Lighting has always become an essential part of any home. In fact, every room requires proper lighting, especially the kitchen, where you are usually busy peeling and chopping on the countertop.
A better lighting setting could give a totally different atmosphere in your kitchen. Installing under-cabinet lighting is one easy and simple thing you should have a try. It tends to brighten up counters and add a fancier look.
Aside from illuminating the space, lighting is also beneficial to perk it up. Thus, it comes in various designs to match the décor.
If you want cool yet affordable lighting, you can purchase rope lights and tape lights. Another option is to buy a set of pendant lights, which is quite expensive.
Other tricks to use lighting to transform your kitchen appear to be larger than is:
- No 1. Choose a brighter color palette.
Add a few more yellow-toned wall paint.
Choose a bright ceiling light and install more lamps on the table for a brighter look. If you don’t have enough budget, use the old trick of adding colorful lampshades to mundane lights (yellow or white).
Alternatively, you can also put on some colorful light bulbs.
- No 2. Use a white-dotted pattern.
A classic and simple technique.
Choose your favorite color for a wall and paint two small dots about 12″ apart along that wall. You might want to tape over them to avoid paint seepage into the woodwork.
- No 3. Choose a more colorful accent piece on your walls
This one is another easy way to modernize the look of a room without busting the bank of your budget. Instead of going for expensive wall decals, you can also make your wall decals.
All you need is a good-quality vinyl sticker and several paint colors to make the sticker pattern messy. Now, it’s time to apply that on the wall.
The process is simple.
~ First, you should cut out several colors from your vinyl sticker sheets based on your preferred pattern.
~ Then, paint those pieces over a piece of wood or cardboard to avoid messing up your walls with paint splatters.
~ From there, all you have to do is to apply those stickers onto the walls in random order. (Some might need adjustment based on whether some colors are painted on another color).
~ Apply a surface finish to the stickers after you are done painting.
~ Once you are done, you can simply peel off the pieces of vinyl with no paint on them.
- No 4. Use lighter colors
Think that green or yellow is the best color to use in your kitchen? This idea is an old trick to keep things modern while not breaking your budget.
Using lighter colors and fewer shades will give a brighter appearance without being pop-art-like. In addition, you should evenly distribute shade (not clustered together). Choose a lighter shade for walls and light cabinet doors and darker shades for darker and upper cabinets.
- No 5. Use brighter or new colors for your countertop.
You might want to replace your countertop with a new one. However, if you are tight on budget, remodeling might be the easiest thing to do. Simply upgrade the color of your countertop to bright yellow or pink, which will not make it look messy with your old cabinets and racks. It is easy to clean and seems like a good way to brighten up your kitchen without spending too much cash.
- No 6: Use wallpaper with large floral prints
This suggestion is another idea you can use to save some cash. Simply choose wallpaper with large floral prints on the backsplash above your sink and the top of the stove. It will lighten up your kitchen and put a different feel to it.
- No 7: Use patterned tiles
Patterned tiles are one approach you can use to update and modernize your kitchen without spending too much money. Choose patterned tiles for the flooring and upper cabinets, such as countertops and backsplashes.
9. Get a new backsplash
Renewing your backsplash area should also be on your list. You do not need to go all over with it, though. If time and money are the issues, you can just install it on the walls that are prone to spill and stain, like the area over the stove and kitchen sink.
There are various backsplash tiles types, such as stainless steel tile for a flash look, a funky mosaic, ceramic, faux tile, or metallic tiles to really catch your eyes. Bring in one which meets your taste and budget.
If you cant do that, you can consider Installing new floating shelves
A large part of your kitchen could be the backsplash area. By having a modern cooking surface in the kitchen, you can make it look wider and airier. In addition, kitchen appliances are not bulky in this area as they are in the rest of the room. So, a floating shelf would allow more of your counter space to be used efficiently and effectively.
One easy way to achieve this is by installing two sets of shelves: one for food storage and another set for storage gadgets like mixers or pots. It will give you more space without ruining your cabinets’ main look.
8. Plants some indoor greeneries
Adding plants in your kitchen is highly recommended. It truly helps you to refresh your cooking area.
It does not mean you can bring in a gigantic tree to your kitchen, though. Some small to medium-sized plants would have a significant impact. You can place them on the cabinetry area or on open shelving –if there is a free-space area left. You can also try to hang them.
While talking about the types to consider, there are endless options for various indoor plants, like pothos, succulents, snake plants, philodendron, etc.
Moreover, you can also create such a mini-garden to grow your favorite herbs. If your area has a warmer climate, you may opt for rosemary, basil, oregano, and thyme. While for a less light kitchen, try mint, chives, lemon balm, and parsley.
Some of the best ways to have fresh greeneries inside the kitchen are:
1. Try to find containers that are larger than their plants.
2. Avoid placing them in direct sunlight. This idea will make the plant wither quickly (if you’re lucky).
3. Take care of their water and nutrients needs by following the instructions on the package.
4. For the potting plants, you can choose a soil mixture.
5. It is best to avoid pesticides and pest control products for healthy indoor greeneries.
6. Some kinds of plants can be grown indoors using artificial lightings like pothos, cyclamen, variegated Dracaena, ivy, and English ivy are the best examples. At the same time, the others require sun or fluorescent light.
7. To grow some fresh herbs inside the kitchen, all you need is to find containers that can fit their plants and lights.
8. Before watering plants, first check for their moisture level. This idea will help you avoid overwatering or underwatering them, which both are equally harmful to your greeneries.
9. Do not always fertilize your plants. For example, watering houseplants with weak water and fertilizer solution will cause them to grow faster but not healthier. They could also lead to overfeeding, which can eventually kill the plant. While using a liquid chemical plant fertilizer once or twice a year will do the trick, and your greeneries will thank you later.
10. If you have plants dying, you could simply trim their leaves to stimulate new growth. If it still does not work, you can try repotting your plant in a different pot with fresh soil or a new potting mix.
7. Purchasing new kitchen appliances
Why not replace your old appliances with new ones? This should be an idea that comes up in your mind mostly. Yup, that’s a great idea. Yet, please be wise on what to buy. Consider which appliances you really need to upgrade.
Buying a new kitchen appliance might include a few things like:
- The type of appliance you would like for a certain purpose, a mixer or any other cooking appliance.
- How you want it to be installed (e.g., where and how you will install it.)
- The price range you want to stay within and your budget
If you are not sure yet if purchasing a new kitchen appliance would benefit you, just check out what other people have done in studying the subject. You will find some inspiring ideas on how to purchase a new kitchen appliance without overspending.
Some brand names have a good reputation, such as Cuisinart, Kenmore, and Miele. These brands have been around for years and have been able to grab the attention of many people. They also feature good reviews from consumers and are trusted products.
- And lastly, perhaps an appliance with new technology, such as a blender or a pasta maker.
When buying appliances mentioned here, it is best to upgrade one piece at a time rather than buy all of them at once. For example: Let’s say you have to replace your old oven and refrigerator; instead of replacing everything all of sudden, why not just replace the old refrigerator first? Then after three months, you can start replacing the old oven with another brand that has some new features.
You can go for a decorative one if you have a small space. If you don’t use the oven or the stove often, you may opt for a basic cooking surface suitable for everyday use and simple storage.
While picking the appliance that would benefit your need the most, remember to keep in mind your budget, the necessary features of the appliance, the size of your cooking area, and its layout. Speaking about size, you better first measure each model you intend to buy before deciding on buying one.
Also, consider changing your appliances’ location.
If your kitchen area is too small, you have to look for a way to adjust your space. One of the ways is by transforming your existing furniture arrangement, and changing the location of your appliances can be a great idea. You simply have to think about what type of appliances you need the most in one corner or another.
You will save some space if the stove and oven are placed on the same side of your kitchen. It is advisable because they both need a lot of space. On the other hand, if you are trying to save space, you can place your refrigerator on a separate side of your kitchen room and any other appliances you may not have had too long ago.
When optimizing how much space you get, you also have to consider your cooking area size, which is most significant. The smaller it is, the more difficult it will be to utilize it properly.
6. Build a new open shelving
To build open shelving, you can reuse some reclaimed wood pieces because it could help you save your money. Furthermore, it gives your kitchen a touch of nature. Or, if you don’t have any, you can purchase a ready-to-install one. That’s absolutely time-saving.
- Step 1: You can start by building the base of your new open shelving. Position your reclaimed wood pieces to form a rectangle, for example, 18-inch high and 6 feet wide. Then hammer in the nails at both ends of these wood pieces.
- Step 2: Once you have created your base, make a frame around it with more wood pieces 4 inches wide. Hammer in nails to secure them in place but don’t fully connect them to the base frame (for easy removal later on).
- Step 3: You should continue framing until you reach the top of your base (18 inches). Be careful when attaching these pieces so that it does not fall off.
- Step 4: Once completed, hammer down the nails from the bottom frame to the top frame. This step will secure your frame in place and give your shelving a sturdy base to support it.
- Step 5: Now, you can start building your new shelving unit. Place a piece of wood on each side of the base frame to form your new shelving unit. Simply nail these wood pieces on both sides of the base wall to secure them in place.
- Step 6: Repeat this step until you have built enough shelf space for all your needs.
You can also install open shelving inside your cabinets if they are too small and you need more storage space for cooking appliances and dishes. Just build the shelving from inside your cabinets.
Alternatively, Build a spice rack.
To build it, you only need to prepare the wood pieces as you would do for any other shelving unit. You can use a ready-to-install rack like the one shown above. To build it, you can follow the steps below:
- Measure and cut the wood in equal length pieces.
- Assemble all your wood parts
- Next, attach them using screws or nails to make them sturdy
- Lastly, position it to be visible from anywhere in your kitchen.
5. Refresh the flooring area
To refresh your old flooring area, you shouldn’t immediately jump to labor-intensive tile or brand new hardwood. There are limitless options these days when it comes to flooring.
Even more, you can do it by yourself. For instance, you can install vinyl plank flooring instantly. Today, manufacturers offer various patterns which truly could immerse you.
To cheaply transform your flooring area, you could also consider flooring inserts. These are available in various sizes, and you can use them for your countertop and walls.
Different types of flooring
There are various types of flooring that you can use to transform your kitchen area. The following are some of these new materials:
- Ceramic tile
- Porcelain tile-like material
- Glass tile-like material
- Laminate – the most popular type of floor covering in today’s modern houses
- Hardwood-the most handsome option when it comes to flooring materials
- Linoleum-the newest option which is eco-friendly and washable in general
- Vinyl plank – extremely affordable and easy to install. They come in various patterns
- Specialty tiles, such as Quarry tile, subway tile, or hexagon tile – a charming design that could match any style or kitchen decoration
- Inlaid stone
- Stone look-alike materials such as slate or marble.
4. Turn the blank wall into an art wall
If you happen to have a blank wall in your kitchen, turn it into an art wall. It is super easy to do and will not cost your time. Also, more importantly, this idea will absolutely save your bank account since you do not need to purchase what’s so-called “artistic painting” produced by a notable artist, which is mostly super expensive.
You can display your own painting or your lovely children’s abstract stroke. Hanging your plate collections would also work. There have not been any exact rules on how to arrange them. Just follow your artistic sense.
3. Replace the old faucet
Go check your faucet! Does it work well? Even worse, it is not just old but also leaky.
No way! Don’t pretend like that’s nothing. That must be super annoying. Thus, go get the new one with the shiniest and most stunning design.
Or, you can also opt for the one with a high-technology design if you have a budget. Furthermore, this type will truly work best during this pandemic era since it prevents you from bacterial staying on the faucet’s surface.
2. Update your cabinetry
Updating your cabinetry doesn’t mean buying a new one. There are many ways to update it. For example, try to replace the doors or handles. That’s probably a super-affordable idea.
Don’t be afraid to mix and match the design. If you have more time and energy, consider repainting the whole cabinet. A new look kitchen will be coming after.
Affordable ways to update your kitchen cabinetry:
- Step 1: You start by removing the doors and handles. You can also consider sanding and staining the wooden parts in this step.
- Step 2: After making sure that your cabinet is empty, fix your new doors and handles to create a new look.
- Step 3: Now, you can start applying a nice piece of stain. Apply it on the wooden parts. This final step will give a new life to the old cabinet, and your kitchen area will look fresh and modern.
When necessary, apply a shiny finish to your cabinetry. For example, you can apply spray paint or hand painting to give it a new look.
Lastly, Number 1. Just Simplify your current kitchen set and presentations
A subtle rule to update your kitchen is ‘make it simple!’. Don’t do any less-necessary change. The first thing you should try is organizing your kitchen. Then wipe out your dirty stove, dust your rack, and so on.
This simple update will help you easily locate your ingredients and kitchen tools.
Aside from saving your time, that would be less-stressing. You can imagine how stressful it is to search all over the area to get your needed ingredient or utensil, isn’t it?
Step by step to keep your simplifications as ideal as you would wish:
- Step 1: Start by organizing your utensils, dishes, and pots in different colors. This idea would help you to save some storage space.
- Step 2: Decide something simple to keep yourself organized. Make use of colorful placements that you can use as a guide when putting away the fresh utensils.
- Step 3: Organize your utensils by categorizing them in the rack or cupboard.
- Step 4: De-clutter.
- Step 5: Then, put your fresh ingredients in the refrigerator. It would be better to place all of them at a glance so you can save your few seconds in cooking!
- Step 6: To place your ingredients and cooking tools effectively, you could place them in the same category. That would help you to find what you want when searching for one. For example, if you use ketchup regularly, why don’t you place it right next to the stove?
These are several simple ideas that will not only save you money but also make your life easier!
This is the end of 10 ideas on how to update a kitchen without ripping it out. Don’t be hesitate to apply some of them.
10. Designingvibes.com, Thehoneycombhome.com
8. Bestlifeonline.com, Westcoastgardens.ca
7. Savvyapron.com, Maisondepax.com
4. Hayooo.com, Thesweetescape.ca
3. Jennakateathome.com, Hgtv.com