Unwrapping a new mattress may feel a bit like Christmas. You’re getting a new piece of furniture, one that most people don’t replace often enough. Unfortunately, rather than ripping the crinkly paper to unveil a gift, you may be greeted with an unpleasant smell. Most mattresses are sealed to keep them clean and safe, but opening this seal can often lead to a stench.
Although mattresses are an easy culprit to spot, many of the pieces of furniture in your may contribute to indoor air pollution. The chemicals used to create the furniture “off-gas” or release particles into your home. Some of these chemicals are known carcinogens at high doses, but the effect of them being released in the low doses common in household products hasn’t been well studied. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to reduce the potency of chemicals off-gassed from your mattress and other pieces of furniture.
Indoor Air Pollution from Mattresses
The foul smell emanating from your new mattress comes from a mixture of chemicals. A 2005 investigation found 61 different chemicals in a memory foam mattress. Formaldehyde, benzene, and naphthalene are commonly found in mattress emissions. The modern mattress is a complex piece of furniture. It has flame retardants and proprietary support systems.
However, some companies have taken steps to reduce the number of chemicals off-gassed by mattresses. Some companies, like Saatva mattress, have designed their mattresses with materials that are less likely to create off-gassing problems. You can also look for beds that have the Greenguard certification or, even better, the Greenguard Gold certification. These certifications mark furniture that has met standards for low emissions. Another way to avoid chemicals is to look for mattresses that incorporate organic materials. These choices can help you lower the risk of air pollution in the house.
Steps to Improve Air Quality
No matter which bed you choose, it is probably still a healthy choice to air out the mattress before installing it in your bedroom. Airing out the mattress means leaving it outside or in a well-ventilated space. If you live in a rainy area or a small space, one possible solution is to ventilate the room as much as possible with fans, open windows, and doors. Maximize the fresh air to minimize the smelly chemical odors.
- There are further steps that you can take to improve the air quality in your home.
- Keep windows and doors open when possible. It may be a good idea to install screens to keep out insects.
- Select air-cleaning houseplants. Some plants can actually filter chemicals from the air. The Chinese Evergreen filters benzene and formaldehyde, so it may be a good choice while your mattress off-gasses.
- Use cleaners that are free of harsh chemicals and smells.
- Run fans, like ceiling fans and bathroom fans, when you are in the room. Buying a new mattress should be a celebration and not a scary encounter with chemical smells. You can minimize your exposure to the odors by purchasing a low off-gassing or organic mattress. Alternatively, you can air out your new bed in a well-ventilated room for a day or two to let the smell dissipate. Just make sure that you do something to protect the air quality in your home.
Author: Samantha (Sam) Kent is a researcher for SleepHelp.org. Her favorite writing topic is how getting enough sleep can improve your life. Currently residing in Boise, Idaho, she sleeps in a California King bed, often with a cat on her face.
Recommended Lists for You:
Some people say that their life would be more complete when they have already figured out some of the side table and end table hacks. Although these two kinds of tables have less importance and function rather than the common table for the living room, study room, and also guests’ room, yet these two tables are the accessories in order to beautify your house. They are the tiny but it has its cuteness in it. You can place these two kinds of chairs at both sides of your bed, at the corner of the room, next to the sofa, near the table for the guests’ room, and many more.
In this article, you can have a quick look about the DIY from IKEA and also non IKEA products which may have captured your heart started from the first impression. By reading thoroughly in this article, you will notice that there are so many kinds of tables. These tables don’t have to be just common and plain. It can be decorative and it may have a wide range of materials such as from the log, from recycling from the old door, the industrial style, and many more. You won’t believe that these things are real in life.
It may be because people are sometimes stuck and think inside the box, thinking that the common table would be that kind of table at school. In fact, there would be so many tables hacks that you can get for having better way of living at home. You should have figured more of these side table and end table hacks so that you will replace your old side table or your end table to be something stylish and fabulous.
When you are curious of finding more inspirations, click this link to get complete information.
Join Our List, It’s Free !
As life has given you many facilities such as the IKEA haul and non IKEA, it seems like you can get what you want or at least something similar to what you really would like to have. You can have most of your products in high uniqueness level that no one else can have the same thing like yours. When other people have a chair that is made up of the standard wood, you can have your own chair in the material of feed sack. It doesn’t make you look like a low people who use that kind of thing at home. In fact, you should be grateful since no one is going to imitate your style and that would be only you who have this kind of chair.
Enough talking, this IKEA haul and non IKEA will provide a lot of products to own instead of buying the suffocating price products that people can imitate or have the same products like yours. Another example is about the beverage station. Most of people’s beverage stations only stand for the place to put the glasses on the top of the station. In fact, by installing some screws and brackets you will be able to provide more space into the station. Let’s say that you like to ask some people to come over and enjoy your coffee or beer. Thus, it would be unpleasing when you see that you have not many glasses available at the station.
People would lose their appetite to enjoy your drinks. In order to overcome this kind of issue, you need to find out more hacks about the IKEA and non IKEA products since it brings you a lot of benefits for your daily life. if you are interested to find out more products, click this link.
Our Recommended List Archived from August 2018 :
- 10 Easy and Cheap Rustic Home Decor Ideas Worth Trying for All Homeowners.
- 10 Pantry Organization Ideas Deserve Your Attention.
- 10 Small Bedroom Design Ideas.
- 10 Easy DIY Projects for a Small Living Room.
- 10 DIY Home decor ideas You can Do when You’re Bored.
- 10 Inspiring Bathroom Remodel Ideas.
- 10 Cool Small Bathroom Design ideas.
- 10 Modish Shoe Rack Ideas.
- 10 Creative Photo Hanging Ideas for Improved Creativity and Style.
- 10 easy DIY projects for your Cluttered Kitchen.
- 10 Cheap Pantry Organization Ideas You Shouldn’t Miss.
- 10 DIY project ideas for Mudroom.
- 10 ideas How to Optimize Small living Room.
Follow this blog and keep updated !