Unwrapping a new mattress may feel a bit like Christmas. You’re getting a new piece of furniture, one that most people don’t replace often enough. Unfortunately, rather than ripping the crinkly paper to unveil a gift, you may be greeted with an unpleasant smell. Most mattresses are sealed to keep them clean and safe, but opening this seal can often lead to a stench.
Although mattresses are an easy culprit to spot, many of the pieces of furniture in your may contribute to indoor air pollution. The chemicals used to create the furniture “off-gas” or release particles into your home. Some of these chemicals are known carcinogens at high doses, but the effect of them being released in the low doses common in household products hasn’t been well studied. Fortunately, there are steps that you can take to reduce the potency of chemicals off-gassed from your mattress and other pieces of furniture.
Indoor Air Pollution from Mattresses
The foul smell emanating from your new mattress comes from a mixture of chemicals. A 2005 investigation found 61 different chemicals in a memory foam mattress. Formaldehyde, benzene, and naphthalene are commonly found in mattress emissions. The modern mattress is a complex piece of furniture. It has flame retardants and proprietary support systems.
However, some companies have taken steps to reduce the number of chemicals off-gassed by mattresses. Some companies, like Saatva mattress, have designed their mattresses with materials that are less likely to create off-gassing problems. You can also look for beds that have the Greenguard certification or, even better, the Greenguard Gold certification. These certifications mark furniture that has met standards for low emissions. Another way to avoid chemicals is to look for mattresses that incorporate organic materials. These choices can help you lower the risk of air pollution in the house.
Steps to Improve Air Quality
No matter which bed you choose, it is probably still a healthy choice to air out the mattress before installing it in your bedroom. Airing out the mattress means leaving it outside or in a well-ventilated space. If you live in a rainy area or a small space, one possible solution is to ventilate the room as much as possible with fans, open windows, and doors. Maximize the fresh air to minimize the smelly chemical odors.
- There are further steps that you can take to improve the air quality in your home.
- Keep windows and doors open when possible. It may be a good idea to install screens to keep out insects.
- Select air-cleaning houseplants. Some plants can actually filter chemicals from the air. The Chinese Evergreen filters benzene and formaldehyde, so it may be a good choice while your mattress off-gasses.
- Use cleaners that are free of harsh chemicals and smells.
- Run fans, like ceiling fans and bathroom fans, when you are in the room. Buying a new mattress should be a celebration and not a scary encounter with chemical smells. You can minimize your exposure to the odors by purchasing a low off-gassing or organic mattress. Alternatively, you can air out your new bed in a well-ventilated room for a day or two to let the smell dissipate. Just make sure that you do something to protect the air quality in your home.
Author: Samantha (Sam) Kent is a researcher for SleepHelp.org. Her favorite writing topic is how getting enough sleep can improve your life. Currently residing in Boise, Idaho, she sleeps in a California King bed, often with a cat on her face.
Recommended Lists for You:
Having an old-fashioned living room might need you to know some ways on how to update your living room. For some people it might be something that isn’t necessary to do such thing since a home will always be home. Whatever it may look like, it will always be the best place to stay in. It is indeed true but for some other reasons the importance of updating your living room would be a good idea. It may be for the reasons of pleasure, comfort, and also satisfaction to serve all of the family members and also some guests who like to drop by and spend time there.
Can you even imagine being a guest who is going to come to your house by having high expectation and when you did come the living room that you spend most of your time looks plain and also unattractive at all? That might be one of the reasons that you need to know some ways on how to update your living room. Trust me, by updating your living room your soul will be replenished and your will start to have fresh and brand new living room. You will be totally pleased in welcoming all of your guests.
It will be started by cleaning all parts of the living room. It includes the area under the living room furniture, places under the carpet, the windows, the tables, the chairs, and everything. Then you can change the placement of the living room furniture to start new. In order to bring some colors into your living room at home, you can add some decorative pillows in bright colors to bring the playful vibe into it. For the wall arts, you can have some ideas such as adding the wall painting, wall letters in big size, or wall decorative items. What about you? Check hyperlink for more detail!
Join Our List, It’s Free !
How to optimize a small kitchen room? Yes, this kind of question will mostly appear in your mind when you run out of the idea in expanding the space in your kitchen. As kitchen will be the most visited and used place of all places at home, it is quite necessary to optimize the space of the kitchen so that all of the cooking experience and cooking preparation can be done in a relaxing way. The fact that people would be likely used by the people is that they can do nothing about changing the small size of their kitchen room.
Yes, in this long list you are going to get a lot of information on how to optimize a small kitchen room. It is mostly about how you will use the space of your kitchen in an optimal way so that all of the cooking utensils and the food stock can be stacked up in a perfect way. You can make a bottle becomes a push up jar. You can build some shelves to be your useful spices and herbs shelves. When you have plain wall, you can take use of this space to build three layers shelves for the spices or also herbs. This is very essential especially for those who enjoy cooking and they can’t live without cooking every single day.
There would be more than 10 amazing tricks that you can do it at home which will bring a lot of impacts for your kitchen. It may be simple but it will give you more space at the kitchen. The main thing to highlight is that you need to take use of the plain wall to be used as the place either for shelves, can storage, or anything. It is very important to know how to optimize a small kitchen room. Read more by clicking this link.
Our Recommended List Archived from February 2019 :
- 75 Cheap Dollar Store Decor ideas. (With a Video)
- 40 Smart IKEA Organization ideas for whole aspects of your life. (With a Video)
- 33 Organizing Small Household Item ideas. (With a Video)
- 20 Organization ideas How to Make Small Room look Bigger. (With a Video)
- 31 Easy IKEA hacks for your Kid’s room. (With a Video)
- 20 Small House Decor ideas. (With a Video)
- 20 Easy Interior Design Ideas for Small Apartments.
- 10 Home Makeover Furniture Ideas for Anyone Living in a Small Bedroom.
- 10 Home Decor Furniture Ideas for Anyone Living in A Small Space.
- 10 Bedroom Ideas for Small Sleeping Room Owners.
- 10 DIY Small Living Room Decor Ideas.
- 10 Living Room Interior Design Ideas for People in a Budget.
- 10 Small Living Room Makeover Ideas.
- 10 Room Makeover Ideas for Cheap.
- 10 Cheap Bedroom Design Ideas.
- 10 DIY Project Home Decorations.
- 10 Bedroom Design Ideas for Kids.
- 10 Wall Decor Ideas for Boring Walls.
- 10 Creative and Cheap Spice Storage and 5 from Recycled Stuff.
- 10 Clever Closet Systems You Should At least Try Once.
- 5 Creative Garden Container Ideas.
- 5 Cute Planter Ideas for Your Small Garden.
- 5 Space Saving and Easy DIY Organizer Ideas for Limited Space Garden.
- 5 Ways How To Build Brilliant Garden Container ideas.
- 5 Easy and Cheap Vertical Organizer Ideas for Indoor Garden.
- 5 Clever DIY Organizing Ideas for an Eye-Catching Rooftop Garden.
- Fleur De Lis Home Décor for Luxury House.
Follow this blog and keep updated !
Recommend topic related to DIY project ideas:
- Thrift Shop Storage Cube Transformation idea.
- DIY idea How to Optimize Limited Coat Closet.
- How to Makeover A Craft Store Bin to a Stylist bin.
- Effective Pantry Organization Revealed- 5 Ideas You Need to Know.
- How to make a simple Lego table for your Little Boys/Girls.
- DIY Switch Plate upgrade – How to do it like a pro.
- How to Paint Your Furniture Fabric to make it look like Leather.
- How to Hack Ikea Vittsjo Laptop Stand with a Butcher Block.
- How to makeover Old Rustic Bar Stool using spray paint.
- How to Refresh an Antique Mirror with Spray Paint.
- How to Build A Window Seat Made FROM IKEA STOLMEN.
- How to make a mail center from Kvissle magazine rack.
- How to Turn Plain IKEA Curtains Into White Columns .
- How to Turn Ugly Coffee Table to A Marble like Coffee Table.
- How to Renew Sagging Cushion.
- How to build Easy Inexpensive Planter Tall Makeover ideas.
- How to Build a DIY Corkboard + Planter.
- DIY Project idea – How to Makeover a mid-century chair.
- How to makeover Cracking Furniture.
- DIY How to Make Indoor Pallet sofa and Outdoor.
- 9 DIY Organization Tips You Need to Know.