This post will explore ten great convertible beds for small rooms, which we have handpicked and compiled from around the best internet sites. They’re all fitted with high-quality mattresses and come in wood or metal frames.
Some people are fortunate to have a spacious room while others do not. They have to put up with small space and downsize the essential furniture. Well, maybe you do not need to do that if you invest in a convertible bed.
The convertible bed is everyone’s favorite, especially those struggling with space. It can help you feel comfortable despite the small room.
So, do you also have the same problem with limited space? Dive in these ten convertible beds for small rooms. As always, Simphome presents you with the list.
10. The Sofa Bed Idea
A bed that can also work for a sofa or vice versa is high on demand as you need to use it for many purposes, such as sleeping and sitting. During the day, you would love to sit there and convert it into a bed and lay yourself in it when the night comes.
When you like sleeping outside the bedroom, this magic sofa can turn into a bed that can even hold more than one person as it’s wide enough.
When you feel like having a quick nap during the day, simply set it into bed mode and pick some pillows and a blanket.
To replicate the idea, your basic instructions are:
- No 1. Installation
It’s not easy to do alone as you need a lot of space for the sofa bed. The most important thing is enough room for the sofa’s dimensions and enough space for the mattress. You can also add an option to put a small table on it, so you can easily access your mobile or notebook. It would be easier to work in that place if you asked your family.
- No 2. Care and Maintenance
As we said, you can easily do this with friends’ help. You just need to make sure that you have assembled the sofa correctly. You can also check if it’s solid and sturdy enough.
- No 3. How to DIY it
The essential thing in your sofa bed is the frame. You can see the technique used in this modern style sofa, or you may choose to use one that resembles a piece of furniture in your house or any other home design.
As long as it’s solid, you are free to be creative with the details. You can go from simple doors on both sides, which will allow you to use entry and exit. You can also add a bedside table with drawer space to add to this idea.
- No 4. Comfort
It may be a little stiff, but you can revert to it the more time you spend. Otherwise, you can use pillows and cushions to make yourself comfortable on the sofa bed.
- No 5. Size
If you don’t consider small things, you may often face difficulties with the size, which is why it’s better to start small. There should be enough space for the mattress to cover on both sides.
- No 6. Design and Ease of Use
A sofa bed is initially designed as a regular sofa, so the shape should be comfortable and elegant. Add the bed’s features to it, and they complement each other. You can choose to use a simple and elegant design or go for the luxury look that will suit your house.
- No 7. Convenience
When using it as a bed, you should ensure that the sofa bed is wide enough to accommodate two people if desired.
- No 8. Storage Space
Loosening up space on the sofa bed is one of the most valuable things to do when it’s used as a bed. The side tables will help you lay down your laptop or charge gadgets so that you do not need to compromise on comfort for storage space.
- No 9. Price
The price varies depending on the manufacturer, material and size, and the type of sofa bed that you choose. If you get the right one, it will be a reasonable price for some people. But if you want to buy an expensive model, it would not match your budget as it’s costly.
- No 10. Option Choice
The sofa bed you choose should meet your needs and styles. You can select a single bed option or multiple beds if you want. And considering that it’s narrower than other beds, it will be better to keep the design simple.
9. A Murphy Bed with Twin Bookcase Idea
A simple way to instantly make a little room wide is to remove the bed. Yes. This idea will be possible with this Murphy bed that can flip back. It’s a bed with a twin bookcase on the left and right sides.
The bedroom can provide space for your daily routine in the morning, such as doing yoga, aerobic, or planking. It works well in any area, especially in a small room.
This bed doesn’t take up much space with a twin bookcase attached. It looks tidy. In addition, this convertible bed has a cute round mirror on it.
Replicating the idea, you could use the left side to place your laptop, a book, or your favorite glass of milk just in case you feel like having it when reading. On the right side, instead of placing the bookcase, you can put a power strip for charging all devices. You will never see any cables.
You can flip the bed back and take a nap with this small twin bookcase attached. Or it will be nice if you put some folded clothes inside to make it look tidy.
8. Get a Sofa Bed with Ladder Idea
This sofa can do what a transformer does in the movie. Yes, it has a brilliant feature that allows it to make a bunk bed. That’s what makes this sofa bed distinguishable from others.
If your children have to share a room, this space-saving sofa bed would be a great solution. It also has a ladder that comes with it to climb safely.
And when you have a guest, this sofa bed will provide a nice place to lay down that gives that the same filling as they sleep in their bed.
The best ladder you can acquire for the project will be the ladder that comes with the unit. Making a small ladder will be an extravagant choice if you are on a budget.
- No 1. The Ladder:
A ladder is the most crucial thing we will look into when it comes down to making the kids’ bunk beds.
It is an essential requirement that we must have. But of course, you will have to decide what kind of ladder you will need.
Some ladders have a footboard, a single rung, and two rungs on them. The feet of the ladder doesn’t always conform to the shape of the bed, and sometimes this also impedes climbing them, especially if you are on a budget with this project but want a safe one for your children who might be clumsy.
We recommend you get a ladder that comes with a footboard.
Apart from the footboard, make sure you get the other essential parts for your children to climb safely.
Here are some of the essential parts of the ladder:
~ Height: Some ladders have a maximum height, so make sure that you go for something lower than what is mentioned on the packaging of this product. You will surely want them to be able to climb up and down the bed easily.
~ Seat: The seat must be wide enough for them to sit on, but not too wide, so they can’t fit or use it comfortably. It should also come with padding so your child won’t be hurt when they fall on it while climbing.
~ Nightgown Hook: The best idea is to have your children wear their nightgowns before you begin the bed building, and this is also a good place for you to keep them safe and protected.
~ Two sets of rails: You should also have these rails with your ladder as these will help them get back up if they fall, and it will also provide an extra handhold so that they can climb safely.
~ Assembly instruction: You will need to make sure that you assemble the ladder correctly when using it. Instructions are available on assembly, but you’ll still want to read them closely so that this project will not fail them later on.
- No 2. Latches, or the Ladder Clips
These are the clips that will connect your ladder to the bed. You can adjust some clips to a certain length, and these can also be used with some loft beds, so you might want to consider getting them. Most manufactured loft beds also come with one pair of latches. These latches are easy to use, and they are perfect for ensuring safety while your child is using the ladder.
~ ladder handles: These handles will provide additional support for them when climbing up or down from this bed. There are ladder handles with a bar attached to them, so it would be easier for them to hold it and get down their bed safely.
- No 3. The Loft Bed
There are various materials you can use in creating a loft bed. What is essential is for you to consider your child’s safety and comfort when choosing the material for this project. Various types of mattresses are available as well. Some have drawers, some have cabinets, and some don’t even have them at all. You will surely be able to find a loft bed that suits your needs when it comes down to buying these beds almost anywhere.
7. Pull It Out
Buying a bed and a sofa simultaneously can be a waste of money for some people as they are on a budget. Besides, they may also be short on space. Therefore, a convertible sofa bed is the only choice.
Having a convertible bed doesn’t require more space. It helps you save more money than buying two pieces of furniture.
More importantly, it has a great design. Your guests will not notice that it’s a sofa bed.
Pull it out, and the bed is ready.
The idea will require some creativity to place the bed. You may have to find a solution or pay a designer to design it.
- No 1. Place the bed in a place where you can draw enough space.
- No 2. Place your mattress on the floor to avoid making a problem for you and your guests.
- No 3. Find a wall that has enough space to place the bed.
- No 4. Find an area where there are no tall pieces of furniture around to make your bed more comfortable.
You may place the sofa bed in a corner or the middle of the room. Some people may want to separate them for easier cleaning.
The pull-out couch does not need its own space, but it should be placed away from doors or fireplaces; since it’s effortless to burn it down on fire when you need to use it as another bed.
You may also consider installing a security system so that your guests won’t have access to other parts of your house while sleeping on the sofa bed.
6. A Sofa Bed with Extra Storage
Just because it has storage, it doesn’t mean you can throw anything in it, though.
You can use the storage space to stash away extra cushions for the couch. You can also toss one or two throws so that you can grab them fast when the weather is chilling.
To replicate the idea, your instructions are:
- No 1. Go to a home store for your measurements.
- No 2. Measure the length of the couch and add five inches to it.
- No 3. Measure the length plus width of your storage section on the sofa bed. This will give you enough space to place cushions and throws in it, while You will still hide them under the bed.
- No 4. Measure the distance between the back of the sofa and the floor.
- No 5. Use any four-inch-thick board to add length to your bed. Use this measurement to cut plywood to add under a mattress.
- No 6. Get extra plywood sheets to catch all your extra throw rugs and throw pillows so that they have storable space underneath the bed.
- No 7. Place the plywood sheets under the mattress for storage.
- No 8. Get a queen or king-size pillowcase that fits over your foam mattress when you are not using it as a bed but as a couch.
5. Consider the Magic-Box-Like Chair Idea
Need something tidier or smaller than a sofa? This convertible chair is here for you. It has a box shape and can turn into a chair, a couch, and a bed. It’s easy to store or hide with such a size.
Only those who live in a bit of room know how it feels when trying to squeeze some space out of it. Therefore, this magic chair comes to the rescue with all its functions.
The drawback of such a chair or sofa bed is that you have to set it up every time you sleep or sit. But it’s still comfortable enough compared to getting bumped over anything in the room when having a conventional bed in general.
To replicate the idea, your instructions are:
- No 1. Find a chair.
- No 2. Get some cushions that you can put inside your chair as seats and can be removed.
- No 3. Make sure you have a space to store your chair either under the bed or at least hidden somewhere in the room in case it’s not used.
- No 4. Get a mattress according to the size of your chair.
- No 5. Put the mattress in the chair and put some covers over it.
- No 6. Put your cushions into the cover you’ve just done and set it up as a sofa bed.
- No 7. Have fun.
4. This time, Hide your bed
This picture is a real example of a hidden bed. It shows how valuable, intelligent design is. Everybody wouldn’t have guessed there was a hidden bed in there because they would think it was just a drawer in it.
It really maximizes the use of space with a convertible bed, as the name says. This room will impress anybody who pays a visit as it looks clean and uncluttered. One of the secrets is the hidden bed itself.
The design of this condo is elegant and tidy, with simple lines and a minimalist approach.
It is a perfect example of how to make an intelligent design. This homeowner was very clear about what she wanted her new condo to look like by designing it herself.
- No 1. Start with scanning your bedroom for items that aren’t really necessary for your bedroom. If you have a big room, you don’t have to use every inch of it.
- No 2. Make a list of the things you would like to hide. Don’t settle for less than everything you want to store concealed in your room!
- No 3. Make a list of the things that are not necessary for the design but will be helpful if they are hidden in the same place as everything else is.
- No 4. Consider putting some of the things that you don’t need in your room, like a TV.
- No 5. You should attend to several parts at the same time, like hanging pictures and moving furniture.
- No 6. If you are not sure how to start, try to list the different things you want your room to look like. Decide which parts are necessary and which are not so much.
- No 7. Do not rush through a stage where you will spend hours on it and realize later that you wasted so much time on something that didn’t work out or was very complicated.
- No 8. Open your curtains and start with the tasks you know how to do.
3. A Convertible Bed With Bookshelves Idea
The height of a bed typically comes from its legs, but this convertible bed got the answer when you would like to use the under-bed space as storage.
This bed features twin bookshelves. With this design, this convertible bed would be your children’s favorite as they can play on the floor while reading books.
To replicate the idea, you only need to get two twin bed frames, one that can be used as a surface and the other to serve as a bookcase. The twin mattress will then rest on top of the floor.
If you want extra storage space, add two frames on the wall in front of the bookshelves. You can also add shelves behind the headboard to store toys and other things your kids play with or use for their daily activities.
You can also consider using a desk as a surface for your study. The desk should come with storage space so your kids won’t mix up their things.
- Step 1: Begin with a twin bed frame; the smaller one will be the surface of your bed and the other one the bookshelf.
- Step 2: Place the mattress on top of the bed frame.
- Step 3: Create a shelf behind the headboard by painting seat boards with white paint or wood stain and adding another slat in between as you desire. Add coat hangers to place shirts.
- Step 4: Put two frames to hold shelves for attaching them to the wall.
- Step 5: Place desk in front of a bookshelf. You can use the desk’s storage space for your kid’s things or keep it empty so that they won’t mix their things up with yours. This design looks great in a contemporary setting. The only difficulty you might encounter with this design is getting a desk the same height as the bookshelf.
2. Get Them Bunk Bed
When you have two unseparated kids who wouldn’t live apart from each other, there’s nothing that can give them more happiness than to provide them with a bed bunk bed.
A bunk bed can save some space. It also offers safety standards as it comes with a railing. However, jumping too high or moving too wild can cause you in danger as you might fall off.
A bunk bed is easy to install, and you can just follow the assembly instructions. For people with limited space, this bed type is better than having two beds in a bedroom.
Lastly, Number 1. A Portable bed idea for the Guest
If you’re somehow popular among friends, relatives, or colleagues, the chance to have guests come by is high. It simply means that you have to provide a room and a bed for them.
But what if there are only rooms for your family? It means your guests have to sleep in the living room, right? This foldable and portable bed is here to help you provide what a guest is supposed to get, which is comfortable when sleeping.
To build a compact bedroom ideal for your next guests, all you need to do is first prepare some beds, pillows, and blankets. Next, you can start constructing these units by using the parts as guides. You just have to follow the instructions and do a bit of figuring out along the way until you get perfect ones.
The parts can be used as portable beds wherever you want, such as on platforms, sofas, or even typical chairs. If a guest stays in your home for more than one night, this bed system is perfect because it’s easy to carry and store them in the room where they are supposed to be placed.
Some sleepers can be attached to the wall and folded and placed in a closet when not in use. Some of these bed designs can be attached to the wall without taking up much space. There are also some designs for tiny houses with a sleeper beneath the staircase where it does not block access or traffic to the stairs below but instead makes use of the space.
Many choices you can get for a bed. And these ten convertible beds for small rooms can give you a clue about the one that suits you best.